Leaking injectors?

9 LIVES

Demolition Expert
After I got my freshly O-ringed head back on I noticed while letting the engine warm up that #1,2,4 & 5 are leaking from what seems to be where the nut that holds down the injector meets with the injector. I pulled those injectors out and swapped out all 4 of the little rubber o-rings that sit snug around the base of the injector hold down nuts.

After putting those injectors back on I can't seem to get the return lines back on. It seems as if the injectors are slightly turned a tad just enough to make the return screws not thread correctly. Im using a 24mm deep socket to take the injector nuts loose. I can't quite fit a open end wrench in there

What else can I check to stop these pesky leaks? Also what can I do to get the return lines to mate up with the injectors better? If I could get the injector nuts tight without a socket I might be able to leave them loose put the return lines on then snug up the nuts but with all the other things in the way under the hood I can't fit any open wrenches down there without rounding off the hold down nuts. :badidea:

9 LIVES said:
After I got my freshly O-ringed head back on I noticed while letting the engine warm up that #1,2,4 & 5 are leaking from what seems to be where the nut that holds down the injector meets with the injector. I pulled those injectors out and swapped out all 4 of the little rubber o-rings that sit snug around the base of the injector hold down nuts.

After putting those injectors back on I can't seem to get the return lines back on. It seems as if the injectors are slightly turned a tad just enough to make the return screws not thread correctly. Im using a 24mm deep socket to take the injector nuts loose. I can't quite fit a open end wrench in there

What else can I check to stop these pesky leaks? Also what can I do to get the return lines to mate up with the injectors better? If I could get the injector nuts tight without a socket I might be able to leave them loose put the return lines on then snug up the nuts but with all the other things in the way under the hood I can't fit any open wrenches down there without rounding off the hold down nuts. :badidea:

The only way that i have stopped those leaks in the past is with a 3/4 inch stubby wrench. Number four is my problem child at all times, and i have a hell of a time gettin a wrench in there, even if its a stubby one.

what i do to stop the leaks is loosen the line and retighten it as much as i possibly can without actually puttin much strain on them, you bend them they are hard as hell to line up again, not a good idea...

alot of time, well try this, with compressed air and the truck runnin, go ahead and blow on the injectors that are leakin and see if its actually from the base of the injector, which i doubt believe me, o and its a 15/16s socket, and see if its not the nut that locks down the injector line to injector top.. in either case, ur on the right idea, but i dont know of any other way or if thread sealer is a good solution...

Try a stubby and lots of patience..

Rick

Last edited:
The little rubber orings that sit at the injector hold-down nut do NOTHING other than keep dirt and grime out of the injector bore.. They are not leak-stops..
If your getting fuel at that point (I'm stealing this from another post, and last weeks personal experience) it's either the injector feed line, or it's the return leaking..
I chased a leak for a couple weeks, changing out the horseshoe washers, removing and cleaning the injector tips and washers and bore, finally got tired of chasing it.. Then I swapped the return banjo bolts the last time I had the leaking injector out, with the #2 return banjo bolt.. Leak followed the bolt even with new washers.. New bolt, no leak..
Fuel will not well up out of the bore unless your injector body is loose.. Combustion gas would escape from there if it was a bad sealing washer, not fuel.. Your leak is on top somewhere..
Good luck.

Brad

If it is leaking from the cylinder there will be a very noticeable hiss when that cylinder makes compression when cranking on it.

No hiss from that area. Great info guys I got alot of things to try now!

I will let you know.

I did remove all of the injectors last night and swapped them with another set I had and I got it down to just 1 that is leaking.

From my experiences thus far (having) my performance injectors in and out three times and eventually putting back my stock injectors for the time being (see my other thread) I can pretty much assure you it is either an issue at the fuel return (screw cross threaded, not clean horse shoe washer, return line not lining up well, etc.) or the line nut's not tight enough. The line nut not tight enough is easy to see as you'll notice fuel above the return screw/receptacle on the injector, although that may not always be true cause the leak could shoot fuel up from the return if it's coming from there (mine shot over my windishield the last time I assembled it because of my cross threaded injectors not allowing a good seal with the horseshoe washer). Good luck, all worth it in the end.

A word of advice, if it can't be threaded by hand until the surfaces mesh up something is wrong. Take it out and clean or try again, a little time will save you some money, these fricken little bolts are expensive ($45 for six return bolts and horseshoe washers):bang

I think I got the leak fixed for the most part. I swapped one of the return bolts with another I had laying around. They should make an aftermarket return line that is made out of that metal braded line that flexes more. I have noticed if you have just one of the holes that you put the reuturn bolt through tweaked just a tad.....all 6 won't line up!

What difference do the copper washers that go on the end of the injector do? The ones that came on these 215 injectors (stock) are paper thin. Now I have a set sitting on my desk that are considerably thicker....would these be better or worse?