Lets talk drive pressures and hg's.

schaef_12

Diesel Junkie
I recently uprgraded my turbo with a 62mm compressor wheel and housing along with a 14cm n/wg turbine housing. I have started to get coolant puking out of the overflow under high boost situations and am assuming the hg has let go. I had a 16cm turbine housing with the HX35, but i only see 5lbs more boost (40 total) with the new combo. My question is are the drive pressures higher with the new turbo combo than with the old, and if so is it enough to be worried about putting another stock hg in?

Also, I can only hit 40 psi boost total, shouldn't it be a little higher than this? I am thinking about going to a wg 12 exhaust housing to see what that will do but i am worried it will run to hot? A 62/12 should cool whats in my sig fairly well right?

If i do need more than a stock hg and bolts what would you recomend?
-A stock gasket with 12mm studs?
-Or would a cometic gasket be something i should look into?

Whose none wastegate housing? If you can run a wastegated housing, run one.

I have a B1 turbo that is supposed to be the 2nd biggest they offer, I haven't torn it down and measured it myself but it is supposed to be close to what you have.

My drive pressure at 40psi was close to 70psi. I didn't have a gauge that went over 60psi, but when I tested it the drive pressure wrapped the needle all the way around and assuming 70psi

however I can make 48psi of boost total so I think you should be able to also, only thing I have is slightly larger injectors and a marine HG .020". When I was using my stock 215's I could hit 45 quite easily.

When I ran a ksb-1 with a 38mm external wastegate my drive pressures were 1:1 at 40-45psi. With my phat shaft which has a larger than normal internal gate on it I'm 1:1 at 42psi.

zstroken said:
Whose none wastegate housing? If you can run a wastegated housing, run one.
Got the non wastegated 14 from HTT.

The most boost i can push is 40-42 at the max. I even removed the fuel plate and poured the fuel to it and thats the most i can get.

I plan on leaving the truck as it is after i am satisfied with the way i can get the turbo to light and keep it cool. I don't plan on going to much over 40-45psi of boost so do you think i will be ok with a new gasket and new stock headbolts? I have heard of quite a few people pushing 50+ boost with torqued stock headbolts. *bdh*

You can't expect higher boost numbers from a bigger turbo unless you add more fuel. Your getting a lot more air through the system now and still able to get the turbo spooled, I wouldn't worry about the PSI. Reducing down to a 12cm housing will help with spool up but increase the heat, trust me I know.

Back