leveling kit in a dodge

BamBam

SLD PLR
i am putting a leveling kit in my dodge its a 1998 quad cab 12v 4x4, just wondering what i have to do in order to lift the front of the truck up high enough in order to put the leveling kit in between the coil springs and the top mount for the springs, if there is any trick let me know, and to i have to change any of the steering parts when i do this or loosen them off? any info will help out big time Thanks!:thankyou2:

I put a bottle jack inbetween the axle mount and the tab on the frame. It did bend the steal cover slightly up over the upper control arm. it doesn't hurt anything, it just has a bump now instead of being completely flat. It's either that or you can rent some spring compressors. You don't need to loosen up anything else. But you will have to pull the coil completely out and throw the spacer on top then slide it back in (If you went the spacer route)

thanks that sound relatively easy, how big of a leveling kit did you put in and how big of tires can you run with just a leveling kit in the front, im looking at either 33x12.5 or 35x12.5 if they will fit, if i can fit the 35' tires thats almost
2'' more of a lift on top of the leveling kit, will it work ?

My tires are just slightly larger then a 315/75/16.. I have 1/2" forward control arms and the tires BARELY clear because of my wider 10" wide wheels.. I ran 315/75/16's without the control arms and my 2.5" leveling coils just fine (8" wide rim). The 2" spacers will clear them as well, you just need the right backspacing on the wheels or else they can rub.

Be ready for the dreaded death wobble!!! I have seen several trucks (mine included) with just the leveling kit get such a bad death wobble that it almost makes you hit the ditch!!! You wouldnt think that you needed to get it alighned lafter ifting it 2 inches, but I know that it can be a hairy ride if ya dont. Im sure that some have gottten away without it, but I know of SEVERAL that were one heck of a ride without it.... just a warning...good luck

thanks i will for sure get that checked out before heading out on the highway, if i run 305/70/R16 on 8'' rim how do you think it will look rather then running 315/75/R16 i am thinkin the 305's because im gonna be pulling around a gooseneck trailer, what would you guys do, i want something that will fill the wheele wells nice? any opinion is a good one :D let me know what you guys thinks, and thanks again :D

alright I have a few pics here, not the greatest but you can get an idea.. I can't seem to find all of the pics I've got on different computers.. First one is with the 285/75/16's on the 16x8 wheels.. second is the same wheels with 30570/16's, third is the same wheels with 315/75/16's, and the last one is the 325/60/20's that are on there now..

Attachments

• 285's.JPG
    285's.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 305's.jpg
    305's.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 315's.jpg
    315's.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 21
  • 325's.JPG
    325's.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 21
w/ 2" leveling kit u can clear 33x12.50x16 on a 10" rim, spring compressor is the best way to go. MAKE SURE U GET A ALLINGMENT, i have lifted alot of trucks it will pay for its self by handling and tire wear.

w/ 2" leveling kit u can clear 33x12.50x16 on a 10" rim, spring compressor is the best way to go. MAKE SURE U GET A ALLINGMENT, i have lifted alot of trucks it will pay for its self by handling and tire wear.

his truck has a "T" style steering setup.. won't have the same issue as all of the other years are far as tire wear..

I did get a DT track bar regardless though.. stockers are junk..

thanks for the pics lucky jeff!! do u by any chance have a pic from the front of the truck when u had the 305/70/R16 on it?? just wondering how far the tires stick past the fenders?? when my track bar wares out im gonna up grade it to that aftermarket one i forget the name of the company, you guys have prob heard of it and i think that might be what you have on your truck too, your truck looks wild with the 20's on it :rockwoot:

Thanks... I will try and find a picture from the front.. a buddy of mine also has the same size wheels as me but with 305's and clears with just a leveling kit and stock arms.. So if you need a pic of that one I'm sure I can get one..

I have 315/75r16's with no leveling kit and they clear fine as long as the wheels aren't turned half way and you hit a bump lol. Then it starts to dig into the black inner fender. I need to put a 2" on it and see how it does...

this is the only one I can find.. Can't find any of the whole truck.. sorry. (Lost a lot of pics when my old computer took a dive)

Attachments

• 305's.JPG
    305's.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 14