Lexan Rules?

Diesel Buddy

"Monkey Wrench"
Any Rules On not allowing to use lexan instead of glass? 2.8+ classes

Both doors open from the inside and out.

i hope it's just a dedicated puller and trailered. because if you are ever in an accident there gonna have fun trying to get you out. why would you wanna do this anyway the weight savings won't make that much difference

... lexan is cheap to me and the truck has no glass to in it now... and yes full time puller.

lexan is alot lighter than glass, they use it in nascar and nhra. PROS: it is almost unbreakable and it is light. CONS: scratches very easily and like i said earlier a fire department would have a tough time trying to break your windsheild to pull you out. If it is a competition only rig then go for it.

How much of a weight savings if I were to replace my rear slider? I would imagine that they make smoked lexan too? Also is there a special way to mount it, or will it mount like the factory glass?

Thanks

Kevin

What does a front windshield and rearwindow (lexan) cost looking for the best buy need one for the 2wd 07 dodge cab.found one that is a universal windsheild for 399.00
Dale

Just buy the flat stock. I got mine from Pro Glass all my windows are tinted lexan with exception of the windshield, keeps the in cab temps down considerable :)

Honestly though, the stuff ain't cheap.

BBD

How did you put the bend in the front windshield

Dale

it bends pretty easy... with a heat gun make a cardboard temp then cut out your lexan with a jigsaw then heat it up bend it...

your gonna have to drill holes for your bolts also... couple sizes bigger also this stuff likes to crack underpressure.

scott how close did you put your holes? and how much bigger?

Anyone know where to get blank window gaskets to fit the lexan into?????

1-You dont need to heat it as it will form itself as you cut and install it(at least on a 2nd gen.).
2-go 2 drill bit sizes bigger is enough.
3-Run clear non-tinted as a windshield because of pulling at night most of the time.
4-They make anti-abrasive and that makes a huge differance so you dont scratch it as you clean/wipe it.
5-Back window in a second gen was about 9lbs. differance.
6-The front windshield was about 30 lbs. differance in weight (2nd gen.)
7-when you get to a pull put a blanket or some type of material over the windshield and only remove when its time to pull and it will keep it from fogging.Lexan is very bad and noted for fogging up.

I have weight to play with sofore.I know about the fogging up thing by the time we get to pull the dew is setting in.we use moving blankets from Harbor Freight only 6.00

Dale

the term "Lexan" is owned By GE and is Expensive (paying for the name)....you can find cheaper non breakable material like a polycarbonate.....Makrolon is one of many brands,

we use a lot of it here at work so i just wanted to maybe save you guys some money

any plastics company in your local area can help you out

Scott

Thanks Scott that is good to know.it is all about saving money so we can spend it on HP parts wright.

Dale

Back