Lift question

DirtyJerzey

I was pretty set on an 8" lift with 38s as my Ram is a 8" I thought it would be a great height. Looking at pics I think the 8" might be pretty high on my 06 f250. Looking at pics I think I might go 6" with 37s. My enclosed trailer loaded weighs no more then 5k lbs. I buddy of mine into lifts says I should deffinately do gears when I lift the truck if I want to tow. Though a lot of my friends have 35/36s on their 6.0s tow much larger trailers with mine with no problems and same fuel mileage as me. Any input?

I have an 05 with a 4" superlift and 35's, so yeah the 6" with 37's should be plenty high enough. Plenty of power (SCT) and still tows perfect with the 35's. Here's a few pics to show my set-up.
000_0077.jpg

000_0079.jpg

that is prety much the same setup i am running. i have homeade 4inch with a 1.5 inch add-a-leaf in the front. i am currnetly running 36"inch swampers but will be giong to 38's as soon as i can afford them. they fit the truck good without rubbing but they don't quite fill up the fneder wells like i want them to. i would love to do gears in mh truck. a set of 4:10's would be perfect. i do a fair amount of driving on the road but for toeing the 4:10's would be awesime. it will deffinately get around withouth them if you're not going to tow alot.

Personally, I would definately regear with 37s if you plan on towing.....even if you don't.
Gears will make it much easier on the motor and trans.

I have 37" tall tires with 4.56 gears. I pull a 24ft enclosed trailer and it pulls sweet. Tires are also a key when they are theat big towing

Robts said:
I have 37" tall tires with 4.56 gears. I pull a 24ft enclosed trailer and it pulls sweet. Tires are also a key when they are theat big towing
what size lift is that? Any more pics? If anything I was planning on doing 4:56s just everyone around here charges and arm and an leg for gears about 2500 bux ontop of the few grand I spend on the lift.

i run 4.56's on 38.5s and yea it works well. around here in tx, it's $400 an axle labor. then the gears.

sredish said:
i run 4.56's on 38.5s and yea it works well. around here in tx, it's $400 an axle labor. then the gears.
Ill have to shop around then, that price isnt all that bad

I run 37's on 18's and installed 4.56's mostly for pulling my toybox. Kind of wish I would have gone with 4.30's because I don't tow that often and could cruise the highway at a lower RPM.

Attachments

• Truck.jpg
    Truck.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 13
yes, my 38's before measured 37.5 and the 4.56's were a tad low. these 38.5s measure 38.8 and it's better. for 37s, i'd choose 4.30s unless you plan to go bigger. i anticipate making it to 40's which is why I went with the 4.56's.... but my present size seems to work really with with the 4.56's.

You should be able to get 37's to clear with a 7" lift. I'm at about 6.5 on my Ex and have a little tweaking to do to stop the rubbing on the bumper. Still rubbing the leafs, but barely.

I was running 35's (33.7" exact)and changed from 3.73's to 4.30's, it towed great but highway flying was out. RPM's were too high and mileage went down. I put on the 37's (36.06" exact) and got some gearing back and some mileage, I'm happy with this combo. Still pulls the trailer good, seems like a little lower than stock, like 4.10's. 70mph I'm at 2000 RPM. Unless you're pulling a trailer all the time I would go with 4.30 gears with 37's.

With my 35's and 3.73's the best I got was just over 17 on the highway doing 80-85. After putting in the 4.30's with the 35's I lost about 3 mpg on the highway. Towing seemed about the same 9-11. Now with the 4.30's and 37's I got 16.2 (hand calc) yesterday on a 170 mile trip doing between 70-75. At 70mph I'm at 2000rpm, on the 6.0L anything above 2000 rpm's starts dropping MPG.