lifted Head possibly just re-torque studs?

shane.f

Alright guys I need some quick advise I am fixing to try to re-torque my ARP625s .....after I got a new tune I noticed coolant from my overflow on kill tune thinking I lifted the head or maybe blew the head gasket but I dont have any of the typical syptoms of that, other than the coolant from overflow! Can anyone point me in the right direction as to retorque process do I need to re lube, to I need to loosen ect? I found a diagram of the torquing order but not much else......here is my thread at the other fourm http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-performance-parts-discussion/1243337-fresh-tune-blowing-ps-cap-off-puking-coolant.html

Wasting your time re-torquing 625's. They just don't give it up.

Not sure what gasket your running but a MLS can leak under full load and seal up under light load for a little bit.

New tune is likely milking timing a little more than you should be.

yep. once your head gasket breaks the seal you are done. its not leaking pressure out, its leaking pressure in.

your cylinder pressure is making its way into a coolant passage. i would blame the timing on the tune or your right foot if your staying in it too long.

been there more than once when i was younger sorry to say.

If it's still a small leak you can deal with it somewhat. Empty the overflow and leave the rad level about 2" down to leave a gas passage. Drill a 1/8 hole in the thermostat housing. Sometimes that will get you by for quite a while.

It doesn't do it on the stock -tow tunes but hot street and race does....surely its my right foot and timing combo.....so head gasket is my only option? FML! Lol

the problem is still there your just not creating enough cylinder pressure to blow past it on smaller tunes and less pedal.

sounds like if you stay out of it and run a mild tune and dont tow heavy you can get by for a LITTLE while. but yes, its time for a 20 over head gasket and a head decking if it were me.

Talked to beans talked to haisley machine and a few other folks....all said standard MLS gasket... Then my brother told me about a shop near him in Pa so I called mamu diesel the run a modified 12v just for O-ringed heads with good results.... FML soooo many decisions! Stupid S475 and all your glorious pressure!

Its not even a question. MLS. If I had ten cents for every botched oring job that's came through here alone, for that matter even guys who thought they knew what they were doing seems to take multiple tries.

MLS will get you right up to the point where you start doing round groove in the head and block fire ring.

funny, i have this similar problem. to the tune of a nearly dry radiator while idling. timing no more than 27degrees

So if i were to send a coolant sample off to a lab, they could tell if it has combustion stuff in it?

You can have almost any automotive shop run a test for combustion. I know almost all of us around here are equipped to do so.

Its not even a question. MLS. If I had ten cents for every botched oring job that's came through here alone, for that matter even guys who thought they knew what they were doing seems to take multiple tries.

MLS will get you right up to the point where you start doing round groove in the head and block fire ring.

You run fire rings?

So, how stable are firerings on a daily (well, non-snow months) driver with repeated heat cycles?

I had them on my truck for 40K miles and almost 10 years. No issues.

These were just cut in the head though.

Back