Lightening Billet Rods

Cozze44

Junkman
While pondering the future of my truck last night, specifically engine internals, I was wondering if anyone has ever had billet rods lightened? I have a set of Crower rods right now, and they are on the heavy side. My power level in no way justifies the use of billet rods, but I happen to have them so I want to use them.

How much more do the weigh then stock? My Carrillo rods weigh 500 grams less then my slightly lightened stockers.

How much more do the weigh then stock? My Carrillo rods weigh 500 grams less then my slightly lightened stockers.

To be honest I don't know an exact weight until I get this engine apart they are in, which will be a week or two. I was told by Blacks and have heard from many others though that Crowers are real monsters.

From my old data list Crowers show to be 2264g vs 12V rod at 2180g.

CR- 2028g
12v- 2180g

Carrillo- 1840g
R&R - 1980g
TTS - 2080g
Woodruff- 2125g
Crower- 2264g
Cunningham- 2300g

These #s were collected a few years back so some could have changed.

CR- 2028g
12v- 2180g

Carrillo- 1840g
R&R - 1980g
TTS - 2080g
Woodruff- 2125g
Crower- 2264g
Cunningham- 2300g

Seem to be quite a bit more then Carrillos. I don't know if it would be worth it to sell and get Carillos or just trim a little off... Curious if it has been done before.

CR- 2028g
12v- 2180g

Carrillo- 1840g
R&R - 1980g
TTS - 2080g
Woodruff- 2125g
Crower- 2264g
Cunningham- 2300g

Also, thank you very much, very good info!

I want to say my Carrillo were 1500g but that was 2 years ago when I put them in and I will have to look for my build sheet at the shop. I could be off on that number. My hardened stockers were right around 2000g

EDIT: my Carrillo rods are 1838. So they were 300 lighter then the stockers

Last edited:
What's the huge advantage to lightening? I understand less rotational mass to move, but is there a huge gain to be had?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Here's the tag off my Carrillo's

IMG_0828_zps2cf021b4.jpg

What's the huge advantage to lightening? I understand less rotational mass to move, but is there a huge gain to be had?

Lighter piston/rod combo is good for more rpm. Look how light 10k rpm gas stuff is compared to our almost 9lbs of diesel piston/rod that see at most 6k

Huge gain? I suspect it won't prove to be significant, just easier on the bottom end and light up faster...

Here's the tag off my Carrillo's

IMG_0828_zps2cf021b4.jpg

Looking at those measurements reminds me that there is a whole lot more to it than just the overall weight of the rod... Where that weight is located will have a lot to do with the engine characteristics/longevity and personally I would rather trust someone who has been doing it successfully for decades rather than machining off some weight hoping that I do it in all the right places to keep the engine together...

Lighter piston/rod combo is good for more rpm. Look how light 10k rpm gas stuff is compared to our almost 9lbs of diesel piston/rod that see at most 6k

The force is still there though, a friend of mine has a 509CID big block ford, his engine has the same force put on the rod and pin at 10000rpm that my 855 cummins does at 4000rpm and my piston alone weighs 9lbs.

Some of the pro stock tractors see 7k RPM at 680 cubes.

The force is still there though, a friend of mine has a 509CID big block ford, his engine has the same force put on the rod and pin at 10000rpm that my 855 cummins does at 4000rpm and my piston alone weighs 9lbs.

Some of the pro stock tractors see 7k RPM at 680 cubes.

Of course the force is still there. But take your 855 to 10k and see what happens. The lighter piston/rod allows you to get to 10k before seeing forces greater then the material can handle. Breaking force is breaking force no matter what. Its just at what weight and rpm the internals become externals. And I just use 10k as a number for reference

Last edited:
Of course the force is still there. But take your 855 to 10k and see what happens. The lighter piston/rod allows you to get to 10k before seeing forces greater then the material can handle. Breaking force is breaking force no matter what. Its just at what weight and rpm the internals become externals. And I just use 10k as a number for reference

You must have stronger = heavier conrod to rev higher. There is no material that can take 855 to 10k, piston speed is always the limiting factor. F1 engines revving to 20k had less piston speed than Pro Stock tractors at 7k.