Little Doggy truck.

JOHNBOY

ZF6 Sled Puller
A buddy of mine just picked up a 1999 24v auto. He got it for a good price but he thought it was a little doggy. So he brought it over. It ldled weird. Not loping but not smooth either. I have a good bit of drive time in an 01 so I have an idea what it should sound like and feel like. I looked at the truck and here are the mods I found. Turbo is not stock. hx40 down pipe and a Van Aaken box with BD stickers on it. The box has no switch or anything on it. The BD stickers has no meaning full info on it It does have a Van Aaken serial #. It has two plugs and the box it self is an aluminuim extrusion. The trans is not oringinal. I found receipts in the glove box that say the trans was rebuilt at a local Ford Stealer's Trans Drive francise.:doh:

I also found receipts for Edge Jammer injector nozzles and rebuild injectors. A new stock lift pump and lines.

When the truck is warm in park idleing it has a intermitten studder. When you let of the throttle coming up to a stop sign it lopes for a couple seconds. When you get on it from a stop it smokes pretty hard doesnt do much. Turbo was real laggy till 3rd gear than it comes on pretty good. I removed the BD box which helped the spool up alot. I think it was getting way to much fuel to soon. It smokes pretty good with out it but a soft pedal foot can control the smoke and help spool the turbo.

The turbo is a B1. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0047874574&category0=&fvi=1&item=170047874574
I think it spools preety darn good IMHO. EGTs at part throotle are warmer then I would like to see. Babying the throotle, getting yourself around town it can get to 1200deg. But if climb right on it it doesnt get much higher. It will peg the boost gage at 30psi once in 3rd gear if your on it. Where should this turbo spool and what kind of boost should it make? How much boost can this turbo safely make?

What do you guys think about the Edge Jammer nozzles are they to big for this turbo?

Does anybody make a programer that will pull some timing and fuel out down low. I really think this thing is getting to much to fast.

The trans seems iffy to me. I noticed some conveter lock up chatter. It seems to shift firm but the converter just doesnt always seem like it wants to play. The Speedo some times quits working. Could loss of speed signal make the trans act funny?

What basic stuff should he do to it? I has gages. I told him that I would ask you fellows. I think it needs a better lift pump and a gage to monitor it. A real trans with a good single disk converter and a cooler. :rockwoot:

:thankyou2:

Sounds to me like the truck has an aftermarket hot rod pump from II, or Scheid or somewhere. A buddy had one, and it had a VERY choppy idle, especially when you are slowing down to a stop like you said. It isnt really a lope, just real choppy. It would also smoke some with just the pump alone, and actually ran alright even without a box. The Van Aaken box was more than likely something like an EZ to basically add some timing. My Buddy also ran the Jammer 5's in his truck. Seemed to be decent injectors. They are smokey, but for the price they are hard to beat. The B1. Not sure where it should spool, but it shouldnt be real laggy i dont believe. Should probably be good for 45psi or so I would think. Seems they are pretty decent turbo's. There are a lot of different versions of the B-1 i believe so I guess it depends on the version he has. As for high cruising/part throttle EGT, my cousins 12 valve was bad about that with a SPS 62 on it, so I have come to expect that out of a cummins with a bigger than stock turbo. How does the truck run at WOT? Does it seem to have some power, or what? 30 psi is barely working that turbo seems to me like. Almost seems like maybe it could use more fuel? 1200* isnt very hot on the EGT. And im sure the tranny could use a good build. Stock converters suck, and if nothing else, that alone will make it feel doggy, but it should spool fast with the loose stock converter. He definately needs a good pusher pump/ fuel system. The stock lift pumps arent good for much more than an EZ. Im sure its probably getting sucked pretty low, if not to 0 psi. Honestly, Id get a fuel system, and a tranny in it, and then throw either a wire tap box or a smarty or something on it. I dont know of anything that could take fuel and timing out of it, but unless it has something adding timing, then it definately shouldnt need that taken out. Im not real sure if the hot rod pumps have the timing already advanced some or not. It shouldnt be enough to cause a problem though. Might be better off to put a stock turbo back on it, and try that out with the current fueling setup and see how it runs then. maybe this will get ya started anyways

Eric

An edge drag comp is a good box. Its what i run. You can turn the low boost fuel down and it has five levels on it. Also the drag comp does not defuel at wot. Dont know much about the turbo.

the jammers will make it idle rough, i have the 125's i would call them choppy, but they were cheap, smokey, and make deacent power. i ran a hot juice w/atd. on 4 it had a real rough idle. i dunno about the turbo.

Thanks Guys

Eric

WOT it runs great once it's in 3rd gear. It's making at least 30psi. That is all the higher the gage goes. Turbo wise I really like it. I would like to find out some more about and get the wastegate set so he doesnt hurt it. With the injectors it deffinatly runs better down low with the BD box out of it. He just sold his old gas truck so he should have the money to do a trans and fuel system. I need to figure out where to take the trans. No one around me works on them that I trust. Honestly auto trans diesel Dodges are rare around here. I got some phone calls to make.

I really like to get it to idle better. It just annoys me. If it was a Dmax I cound fix it in no time without getting dirty.:hehe: But it's not and that's cool. It's funny I have probably more seat time in 24v VP44 trucks than even my Dmaxs but I know so little about them. I know more about 12vs than I do these 24vs.

Thanks Guys!

Timmy Barber of TRE diesel is one of the best for trannies. Drive in, get whatever done, drive home =P

There were several variations of the b-1, but it is a modded s300.

Ditto on the injectors causing a funky idle. It would probably be worth having the injectors pop-tested and all set at the same pop pressure.

I did some more investigating. I looks like the Edge nozzles are the Stage 5s. Anybody think those are a little big for the cause? My local injection shop (Wimer's) seems to think so.

Where is Timmy Barber located?

Those are small injectors, normally they dyno to ~125rwhp. Tim's over in Virginia Beach, VA. Can you describe how the trans is acting up? It almost sounds like a wiring/electrical issue instead of a hardware problem.

It seems to shift fine but real early. Sometimes you can feel a very noticable chatter. Like the converter is not engaging. Electrical does make sense because I did notice that the speedo works hit or miss. Maybe a bad sensor? Once it is in third gear and the converter locks the truck hauls balls. But you kind have to wait for it to lock some times. If you dont and you get on it chatters.

Thanks

Check the TV cable first. With the truck not running, have someone crawl under the truck and someone sit in the driver seat. Locate the TV lever on the transmission (TV cable is the lever on top of the gear selector lever) and see if it moves rearward when the accelerator moves. There should be ~1/16" of play in the lever with the accelerator floored.