Little nervous!

strokedviking

i'll start by saying that on my way back from school, i was towing my rx7 up a rather steep grade and my water temp got up to about 230ish degrees. i am not sure of the type of temps these heads are good to, but my feeling is thats getting a little high.
then, the day after christmas, due to my stupid fuel guage acting up i ran out of fuel when i was on my way to the gas station. i've seen the hmfc take a dump from dry running. and i know of what dry firing certain types of injectors and do. what do you guys think? the truck still runs, seems to not run as good, but that might just be me being nervous about it. are the injectors toast? hmfc seems to still be pumping, but could be all chitted up!
any thoughts or info would be appreciated!
take care!

230 is a lil' warm..mine has gotten there before while towing..but it was also 90 something degrees..what was your oil temp? I wouldn't worry too much about it..just keep an eye on it..and if it happens again..make sure you don't let it get any hotter then that.

As for the injectors you would know if they were toast..probably would have a rough idle..not sure of all the things that it would do..maybe someone else will chime in with some more info on that.

I've ran out of fuel twice now, damn gauge is a P.O.S. said I had 18 and 22 miles till empty, but I guess not. After I ran out of fuel I filled it up and it has ran like new, it has been about 3,000 miles since I ran out and the truck runs smooth with no issues. I'm sure the someone who actually knows will chime in soon! :pop:

Its gonna run like crap till it gets the air out of it, but your probably fine on the injector issue. The 230????????? not so sure, thats pretty warm.

My buddies 6.0 ran up hot when towing my truck through the hill country and he's run his out of fuel twice...the trucks an 03 with 150,000 on the clock. It has rough idle when cold. Actually it's more of a lope and it belches black smoke, not sure if that has anything to do with it running out of fuel. We have replaced 3 injectors so far...just keep driving it til it breaks, then fix it

thanks guys for your input!
yeah i'm pretty much just going to drive it till it breaks. if the injectors go out, so be it. maybe it will just give me some incentive to get some bigger sticks.
i'm just concerned with the water temp. it was kinda wierd cause i wasnt thinking at all about watching my water temp until i heard the fan kick on, which was the first time i have heard that. so of caorse it startalled me, what is this sound, then i soon thought that it has to be the fan coming on. so i glanced at my water temp, and thats when i noticed the 236ish gegree water temp. i've had concerns with my headgaskets, i've though for a while that i had a small leak in them. my coolent has puked about 5 times, but i have never filled it back up afterward. my coolent leavel stays right above the bottom portion of the degass bottle, right where the neck goes down.

Back