Lock-Up Sticking after start up?

SoonerFan8

I put a new aftermarket trans in late last summer and it ran great, however, now that temps are dropping into single digits at night the truck keeps dying when i try to put it in gear in the mornings. Once it goes into Drive the first time with out killing the engine everything works fine, i can go to nuetral and back to D or into R all day long other than that first initial start up in the morning... it gets frustrating if i am running a little behind and am in a hurry. Trans is built w triple disk coverter, but no shafts. Any ideas?

I had a sun coast convert that did the same thing it was to tight. Got a loser convert and its fine.

Try putting it in neutral and then blip the throttle then into drive or drop the line pressure a bit

exact same problem here... Bought an ATS a while back, first winter it started doing this. Went back and forth with ats for a whole year, they sent me two torque converters and a valve body all to no avail. Had to ship the trans back to them they went through it and said the front pump was broken and sent me a new reman unit. Got it back and it still stalls but maybe once every 3 starts. I have no clue whats making it do it.

My truck did the same thing one cold morning 2-3 weeks ago, however its decided to completly lock up last week after I had been driving for 30mins or so and has yet to unlock....got a thread in the 12v section...gonna keep an eye on your progress as well.

Told me to check the line pressure (in the process of getting some adapters) and depending on how the pressures drop/spike can determine if my tourqe conver/valve body or selenoids bad)

I take it you do have it idle'd up enough

I ran by the shop i bought the trans from yesterday and talked to them about it. They said they just had another truck in doing the same thing and that they found it was the lock up solenoid, I guess when you shut the truck off it de energizes and the oil flow is open to activate the lock up. I guess when its cold the solenoid sticks and doesnt shuttle upon startup. They should have a new solenoid here in a couple days and i will let you know if that fixes it.

Back