Lock up switch benefit

dangerous06

diesel tech
Bit of info for those that are interested!
I tow for a vender that packs his trailers to insane levels. 25 to 30k.
That said he has a 15% grade up to his house about 300 yards. Crazy steep!
For a few years I would run it full throttle and at the top the truck would puke coolant and the tranny temps would pass 240.
Yesterday a tried 1st gear lock up 2000 RPM hit the switch like a totally new beast it climbed the hill even went to 3000 rpm but here's the kicker at the top of the hill I was at 220 temp barely above normal AND tranny was at 180 like it never even happened!
It's hard to explain this hill but I'll post a vid soon!
If you have a switch use it! DO NOT TRY THIS WITH A STOCK TRANNY!
You WILL smoke it!

Lockup benefits are numerous and you can do it with a stock trans, you just need to be smart about it's application

Bit of info for those that are interested!
I tow for a vender that packs his trailers to insane levels. 25 to 30k.
That said he has a 15% grade up to his house about 300 yards. Crazy steep!
For a few years I would run it full throttle and at the top the truck would puke coolant and the tranny temps would pass 240.
Yesterday a tried 1st gear lock up 2000 RPM hit the switch like a totally new beast it climbed the hill even went to 3000 rpm but here's the kicker at the top of the hill I was at 220 temp barely above normal AND tranny was at 180 like it never even happened!
It's hard to explain this hill but I'll post a vid soon!
If you have a switch use it! DO NOT TRY THIS WITH A STOCK TRANNY!
You WILL smoke it!

ha ha didn't you post a thread about this a long time ago and that was the general consensus?

You need a modified VB to lock up in 1st and 2nd with a 47er/rh or 48re, but man is it awesome. I use it all the time. And if I am doing something to get it hot (like hauling while climbing a steep grade), I'll unlock, downshift, and lock, then let it engine brake, and it brings my EGTs down in a hurry which brings all my other temps down too.
And the trans fluid never gets hot with the TC locked.

The one time I downshifted with it locked, I blew the outgoing line to the cooler... Not sure if coincidence, or if that's a big no-no. I hear it's not good. Like I said 'the only time'.

Glad to hear it's eating that hill up now!:clap:

300yrds why not just throw it in 4lo,

I have driven up a mtn pass towing a 4 place enclosed snowmobile trailer in 4lo just so the conveter would stay locked. It was a good 15 miles and trans temp never went over 160, the yr before it was over 240 by the time I got to the top.

yeah I love 1st gear lock up! 4lo what's that?? LOL I'm 2 wheel drive! I sure don't have time to go that slow LOL! I up and down shift all the time with it locked?! I do let off the pedal when I do and it is a hell of a clunk! Then I think Damn it flip the switch! LOL
On a side Note I hauled a similar trailer with my 6 speed G56 and hate to say it but the truck basically stock with a smarty did a better job hauling up the hills! A lot more motor control and no slipping ever! Only thing I hate is reverse is so damn high that you better know what your doing if you let the clutch out!

yeah I love 1st gear lock up! 4lo what's that?? LOL I'm 2 wheel drive! I sure don't have time to go that slow LOL! I up and down shift all the time with it locked?! I do let off the pedal when I do and it is a hell of a clunk! Then I think Damn it flip the switch! LOL
On a side Note I hauled a similar trailer with my 6 speed G56 and hate to say it but the truck basically stock with a smarty did a better job hauling up the hills! A lot more motor control and no slipping ever! Only thing I hate is reverse is so damn high that you better know what your doing if you let the clutch out!

Lol didn't think about 2wd. Carry on.

If makes anyone feel better my 4r100 behind my 12v I lock TC up in 2nd and never unlock till it goes back down below 23mph.

Back