Locked up seat belts

RockinRam96

So I bought a set if seats used for my 2000 because mine were destroyed. Turns out the seat belts are locked up and you cannot wear a seat belt. Anyone know how to get into this to get the freed up?

make sure the seat belts are plugged in under the center seat.

I'll double check how mine are done. After flipping my truck the belts did the same when I swapped my seats into my new cab.

make sure the seat belts are plugged in under the center seat.

Really?! I didn't know there was any electrical "brakes" on them. News to me.

Does it make a difference whether the original seats were power and the new seats are manual?

The seat belts in my truck locked up once, first the driver side, then a week later the passenger side. My electronics were all pluged in and they just wouldn't unlock no matter what I tried. Since I didn't want a seat belt ticket, and I couldn't justify the cost of new electronics and/or seat belts I removed the wiring, removed the seatbelt fom the seat and removed the locking mechanism. My seat belts might not lock to save me in a crash, but I haven't been irriated since with them locking when I don't want them too.

Well I looked today and the connectors are different in the seat than what is in the truck. Which doesn't make complete since because the original seats were electric and the new seats are manual.

The seat belts in my truck locked up once, first the driver side, then a week later the passenger side. My electronics were all pluged in and they just wouldn't unlock no matter what I tried. Since I didn't want a seat belt ticket, and I couldn't justify the cost of new electronics and/or seat belts I removed the wiring, removed the seatbelt fom the seat and removed the locking mechanism. My seat belts might not lock to save me in a crash, but I haven't been irriated since with them locking when I don't want them too.

How id you get the seat belt out of the seat? I can't see how to get the retractor out of the seat.

How id you get the seat belt out of the seat? I can't see how to get the retractor out of the seat.

In the back, on the bottom is where the seat fabric comes together. It's held together by a type of inter-locking hooks. I think you just pinch them to un-hook them. Pull the fabric off the seat (Very tight fit so you;ll have to work it). One the fabric is pulled up you can access the seat belt. Un-bolt it from the side of the seat to seperate it from the fabric. The the actual mechanism is just bolted onto the seat frame. Unscrew and couple bolts and it's out.

Just a warning. If you disconnect the mechanism, or remove it like I did, it will set off your seat belt light. For me, I took the cluster out, took a soldering iron to the back of the seat belt light and removed it :Cheer:

IMHO.. removing the seat belt locks is a VERY dumb idea! Before doing that why not put the new seats on your old seat frames and making it work properly? If its not something you can handle please hire a shop to repair it so we aren't reading on the news down the road how you died over a seatbelt failure.

I didn't ever think about switching out the frames.

I tried plugging the new seats into the truck, but I don't understand how the new manual seats can have more wires going to the connector than the old power seats.