Locker / Rear End Question..

Hey guys, I have a 98 12v which i plan on hooking to the sled a few times this year.. I dont have a posi. Its a dana70 limited slip or whatever they call that when only one tire spins. Obviously im going to be a lot better off with both spinning.. I know absolutly nothing about rear ends. Should I switch to a posi unit or should i go with a locker? I Dont know exactly what a locker does, will I need to do both? Or just buy a locker? Or what should i do..

Thanks!!!

are you going to drive it on the street any if so i would go with a locker

Yes i plan on driving it on the street every once in awhile. How would the locker bennifit me? I know nothing about them....

a locker stays engaged almost all the time. it is supposed to disengage when turning a corner to keep from chirping your tires. they are nice but can be noisy when they disengage they make a fairly loud noise when they do so. sometimes can make you think something is breaking.

with a locker if you park on a street or behind a car or something either give you some distance or use the parking break because you can get somewhere around 6-10 inches of travel once you are in gear.

this is what i have. it is their NOSpin locker you can see with it how it kinda works by the break down in the pic

http://www.eaton.com/ecm/groups/public/@pub/@eaton/@per/documents/content/ct_125998.jpg

Thanks alot man!! That helps alot. So does this locker pretty much replace the ring gear? Is that what you would recomend for pulling? Whats the diff between the locker and a normal posi.. Goods and bads.. Thanks

A locker will not replace your ring gear only your carrier (the part the ring gear bolts to). A posi or limited slip has better street manners a locker is more aggressive. A locker is stronger than the posi or the limited slip. I have a Detroit (brand) locker in my truck and like it a lot but as said by Chevycummins they can be a handful to someone who does not expect it especially in the rain
Rich

^^^X2 what rich said i have had mine for about 4 months now and as far as traction on the street i love it no more "one wheel peel" but its a handful when the weather is bad if your not careful.

for pulling i would suggest it as it is stronger and pretty much next to a full spool will give you enough to pull but still be able to street drive. if you want to lean more towards drag racing and street friendly i would go with some sort of limited slip or or posi like in the link below its a clutchless system but more of just a limited slip unit but looks fairly solid i have never dealt with the helical gears but should be fairly strong since they are in the cummins engine that we all like to run to its limits.:rockwoot:

http://www.eaton.com/EatonCom/ProductsServices/PerformanceProducts/Products/Differentials/DetroitTruetrac/index.htm

Thanks guys! That helps alot.. I currently have 355's but im pretty sure i want to switch to 410's. So i would need ring gear pinion and the locker assembly correct?

the ring & pinion come as a set, locker seperate,, randys ring and pinion sometimes offers package deals tho. the 410's will slow you down on the highway, if that dont bother you id go to 373s. i got 410s with stock gov, so top spd is 86, with 15-16 mpg at 70 mph . if not i might go even higher/lower like 514's

Thanks guys! That helps alot.. I currently have 355's but im pretty sure i want to switch to 410's. So i would need ring gear pinion and the locker assembly correct?

Your from Salem, OH take it to santee and have him lincoln locker that thing.

-Dustin-

Back