Locktight thread tape

OT-OF-Here

Owner of the Black Beach
I could be out of the loop, but I saw this stuff advertised last weekend on one of the Spike motor muscle shows.

It looked like it has good possibilities for anything but head studs is what I had in mind.

Anyone with some feedback on this product??

I used it on some converter bolts. They havnt fallen out yet so I guess its doing its job. Putting on was nice and clean

Just got some today. Looks like a good deal. I also got some copper antisieze tape as well.

Copper antisieze?

Just got some today. Looks like a good deal. I also got some copper antisieze tape as well.

Who makes that? In which order did you use it then? And are you saying you put one over the other?

I just bought both products but i dont mix them. The copper tape came from tifco industries.

Not to sound like a smart ass here,(ok I do) why would you mix something that makes stuff hard to get apart with something that makes it easy to get apart? see which one is stronger?

But in regards to your question, I have not used the tape. But I am a big fan of Loctite on just about everything. If it spins or vibrates I locktite it.

why not use regular ol lock tight?? if you put the stuff on in the wrong direction i can see the bolt not torquing correctly, backing out, or something stupid like that.

Not to sound like a smart ass here,(ok I do) why would you mix something that makes stuff hard to get apart with something that makes it easy to get apart? see which one is stronger?

They are for two entirely different applications. You don't mix them...:doh:

Damn, So THAT'S what I've been doing wrong!

Thanks for the advice Zippy.

Ok, getting back on track,...

This is what I think on the tape but would like some confirmation.

I think it may work better than regular lock tight because it is an even distribution of lock tight on a 360* around the bolt vs applying the liquid on the thread and getting a distribution but NOT as even as the tape would provide. That's my thinking on it and I'd like some non combative input pls.

Also, I would presume heat cycles would not degrade the product but I don't know that for a fact. Does anyone know?

This is what I think on the tape but would like some confirmation.

I think it may work better than regular lock tight because it is an even distribution of lock tight on a 360* around the bolt vs applying the liquid on the thread and getting a distribution but NOT as even as the tape would provide. That's my thinking on it and I'd like some non combative input pls.

Also, I would presume heat cycles would not degrade the product but I don't know that for a fact. Does anyone know?

Sorry I couldn't help myself. Depends on what your using it for as to whether you really need a 360* around the bolt. My personal experience is that a good dabbing is enough. Any more than that and it usually squeezes out the top.

Heat range of the tape has a max of 350*. I think any heat that degrades the regular blue loctite will degrade the tape. And as far as I can tell, they only offer it in the medium strength, so if you want the high strength you still have to use the liquid.

I think the only real difference is it makes slightly less of a mess and takes an additional 5 mins to set up.

Kuntry boy brings up a good point. If it behaves similar to thread tape then you have to make sure you put it on the right way otherwise it unravels as you screw the bolt in. But I don't know if it acts like that or not.

I think its time for a group hug!

I'm going to retreat to my mommies basement and cry myself to sleep.

Tape useage?

Sorry I couldn't help myself. Depends on what your using it for as to whether you really need a 360* around the bolt. My personal experience is that a good dabbing is enough. Any more than that and it usually squeezes out the top.

Heat range of the tape has a max of 350*. I think any heat that degrades the regular blue loctite will degrade the tape. And as far as I can tell, they only offer it in the medium strength, so if you want the high strength you still have to use the liquid.

I think the only real difference is it makes slightly less of a mess and takes an additional 5 mins to set up.

Kuntry boy brings up a good point. If it behaves similar to thread tape then you have to make sure you put it on the right way otherwise it unravels as you screw the bolt in. But I don't know if it acts like that or not.

I'm going to retreat to my mommies basement and cry myself to sleep.

I said in the 1st post on this thread "Head Bolts"! I don't put a ton of miles on my truck and I'd like to get into a position where I don't need to re-torq the head more than once a year. It's been Fireringed with Haisley's kit. That is the whole point to this thread. I don't know how long this stuff has been out but I only saw it this past weekend in an ad so I'm not sure if it is the best product to accomplish my goal.

Thoughts anyone?