Looking at 2006 F-350?

gregw369

I currently have a 01 dodge 2500 cummins. I am looking for a newer truck right now. I have seen a 2006 F-350 ext. cab long bed 4x4 with the 6.0 powerstroke. It is a one owner I believe, it has 40k miles. It is completely stock and looks real clean. From all my research I have done on the 6.0's I have gathered that most of the problems were in 03 & 04. Since this is a low mileage 06, are there things I should worry about or steer clear of. I am really interested in buying it and it is a good price. Any feed back on this is appreciated!

The 06's i think all have issues with the calipers or something involving the braking system. Outside of that its still a 6.0 and should have the EGR system at least blocked off and headstuds would be wise.

More than likely its a good sound truck.. Get the VIN and have an OASIS ran on it and that will tell you the trucks service history.. I have an '06 that had issues when it was new, but since are mostly taken care of.

The 06's i think all have issues with the calipers or something involving the braking system. Outside of that its still a 6.0 and should have the EGR system at least blocked off and headstuds would be wise.

What have you seen about the calipers on 06's? I just changed one out, but I think it's due to an overly possessive cat in my area...

I think i recall my buddy(ford diesel mechanic) saying something with the front calipers.. like maybe a TSB with or something. I dont recall all of it, I'll be seeing him on friday and I'll ask him again.

please do, I'm curious now... I was having some issues with the passenger side going cockeyed. Changed the caliper out and so far so good...

Never had any problems on my '06 With The calipers, Other than the fact that they don't agree with some 17" Aftermarket wheels

I could live with just a caliper problem:hehe:it's the motor that i was worried about.

I'd pick it up! My 06 motor has been great, if I would've left it stock, I doubt I would have had any problems other than the stud issue in any 6.0 on the road. Even so, everything I've put this motor through, it was never the motors problem when my truck had any issues, 71000+ miles of hard beating, over 50 1/4 mile passes and has had some form of a tuner on it since 2,000 miles. I'd say it's a good truck!

Anyone ever change their brake fluid? Grease the caliper slides? Put crappy aftermarket pads in instead of motorcraft? Nah, didn't think so.... The fluid readily absorbs water cause its HYGROSCOPIC. The caliper slide pins can stick if moisture gets past the boots. And the majority of the aftermarket pads don't quite fit the grooves in the brackets, and whatever you do, don't destroy the anti-rattle clips when changing the pads.

Early 06s still have the same snap to connect fitting on the high pressure pumps. Look for a solid oil supply tube going from the oil cooler to the turbo. This indicates a Job2 truck as the earlier models still had the ones with braided center sections. Always change the fuel filters on used trucks. You never know what the guy before you did. Check the fuel lines at the secondary fuel bowl. If there are little zip ties on them, its a good indicator someone has been in the motor.

Anyone ever change their brake fluid? Grease the caliper slides? Put crappy aftermarket pads in instead of motorcraft? Nah, didn't think so.... The fluid readily absorbs water cause its HYGROSCOPIC. The caliper slide pins can stick if moisture gets past the boots. And the majority of the aftermarket pads don't quite fit the grooves in the brackets, and whatever you do, don't destroy the anti-rattle clips when changing the pads.

Early 06s still have the same snap to connect fitting on the high pressure pumps. Look for a solid oil supply tube going from the oil cooler to the turbo. This indicates a Job2 truck as the earlier models still had the ones with braided center sections. Always change the fuel filters on used trucks. You never know what the guy before you did. Check the fuel lines at the secondary fuel bowl. If there are little zip ties on them, its a good indicator someone has been in the motor.

Thanks for the tip, so if it is a Job2 truck will I most likely have better luck with reliability? With the proper maintenance?

Funny you should mention the brake fluid... I've never seen green brake fluid till this truck. My pins are fine, and was still on the factory pads until the one side stopped moving. And yes those clips are a major PITA.

Thanks for the tip, so if it is a Job2 truck will I most likely have better luck with reliability? With the proper maintenance?

6.0Ls are like Ferrari's... You buy the newest one you can afford. If you want a Testarossa, you buy a 512M. If you want a 348, you buy the latest serial number you can find. However. If you want a 355 you buy a 95 which is Pre-OBD2. This is also the one that didn't have the factory alarm that will lock you inside the vehicle. Later 355s have a module the size of a pack of cigarettes that when fails will shut the car down and lock you inside only to have to break the window to get out. So then you have to buy a window and a module for 700 dollars.

Back