Looking at an 08. Have a few ?'s

BigB82789

There is an 08 QCLB 4x4 G56 at the local dealership. It has 39,xxx miles on it. They are asking $35,980. It has and MBRP exhaust as far as I can see. They say it has some kind of "chip" :doh: on it and is set on the first setting so nobody tears it up. I explained that if its a programmer and he loaded the tune and kept the box that its is locked and would need to be reflashed. Also when you push the clutch it in rattles like a dual disk. Im an auto guy so im not sure if it is a DD or if it rattles since they put ATF in the manuals from the factory.So my biggest questions/concerns are:

1: Should I have them reflash the ecm as part of the deal?

2: Will the latest ecm flash result in lower mileage?

3: How can I tell about the clutch with out droping the trans?

4: Whats the best tune out right now that will allow good fuel mileage and still have room to grow power wise.

5: What should I be trying to take this home for? $31,000, $32,000?

There is an 08 QCLB 4x4 G56 at the local dealership. It has 39,xxx miles on it. They are asking $35,980. It has and MBRP exhaust as far as I can see. They say it has some kind of "chip" :doh: on it and is set on the first setting so nobody tears it up. I explained that if its a programmer and he loaded the tune and kept the box that its is locked and would need to be reflashed. Also when you push the clutch it in rattles like a dual disk. Im an auto guy so im not sure if it is a DD or if it rattles since they put ATF in the manuals from the factory.So my biggest questions/concerns are:

If the exhaust is a turbo back (no DPF/cat), and it's running code free right now, don't have them reflash it or it wont be happy anymore. I think a smarty should be able to do a recovery file and wipe out whatever program is in there and you can start over again.

refer to above

If it rattles, it's probably a dual disc, look at the clutch hydraulics on the drivers side of the trans, if it's a braided stainless line hooking to it that goes up to a remote mounted white plastic resevoir, it's probably a southbend dual disc.. none the less, braided steel line is a dead give away for an aftermarket dual disc of some sort..

4: Whats the best tune out right now that will allow good fuel mileage and still have room to grow power wise.

any product from smarty or H&S

the cheaper the better, if he wont let it leave the lot, add a few dollars to the bottom line...

oh.. damn, out of questions :hehe:

Last edited:
oh.. damn, out of questions :hehe:

Ok, about the clutch. I sawe a resivoir on the driver side, but didn't take notice of the lines. Evry manual i have been around has had an aftermarket clutch, so if i see something it may look normal to me but be aftermarket.

Also I thought the box could be an hs since theres no dpf. Where is a common place to mount the box?

Thanks.

is it at a dealer, can they sell it without a dpf? i didn't think so

Ok, about the clutch. I sawe a resivoir on the driver side, but didn't take notice of the lines. Evry manual i have been around has had an aftermarket clutch, so if i see something it may look normal to me but be aftermarket.

Also I thought the box could be an hs since theres no dpf. Where is a common place to mount the box?

Thanks.

if i remember right, the stock reservoir is part of the master cylinder for the clutch, and aftermarkets use the reservoir that is seperated from the master, and has a rubber hose that connects the two together. but the braided lines will definetaly give it away!

what dealer is it in ohio maybe i can hook u up we have an 08 3500 qlwbd for 36k has dpf delete ,smarty on 1 still has egr cooler on it though think it has md 45k miles

You may want to talk to Ed, he's done a few of those 6.7s clutches and dpf removal. He used a Smarty on one and a Smarty jr on another one. I am surprised they can sell it without that stuff. Advantage of living in OH and no inspections!

Ok, well I bought it. It has a SB DD not sure on what plate load. They are supposed to get ahold of the previous owner and ask what box or tuner is on/in it. If its a box, where is a common place to look for it at? I'm only use to VP trucks and early CR's and I didn't see anything in those places.

they usually mount on the fuse box or on the drivers side of the firewall somewhere. Look for a couple piggybacked plugs in the fuel rail area.
Post up a pic of the new rig!

Congrats on the new truck.

Does it still have the egr in place?

Post a pic of the truck and engine,especially by the fuse box area and the fuel rail area if you can,like joelc79 said they are in that area if it does not have a downloader in it.

check the OBD2 port, if there is something plugged into it, then that is the box thats clearing codes for the truck...

I am supposed to pick it up tomorrow so I'll finally have a chance to look it over by myself. Hopefully I can get some pics up soon.

I am supposed to pick it up tomorrow so I'll finally have a chance to look it over by myself. Hopefully I can get some pics up soon.

Well there is nothing in the OBD-II port and I can't find any boxes or pig tails. If this does have a smarty still in it how would I go about starting over with my own smarty when I'm ready?

you should be able to buy a smarty and download the re-flash or recovery from bob wagner. send him a pm. Or just have it re-flashed before you load a new one.

you should be able to buy a smarty and download the re-flash or recovery from bob wagner. send him a pm. Or just have it re-flashed before you load a new one.

If the tune isn't in there then I wont have anything to fool the dpf sensors. I need to get the dealer to contact the previous owner so I can find out for sure whats in it and if I can buy it from him since its usless to him now until it is unloaded from the truck, correct? Is the smarty the only tuner available and all others piggy back on the truck?

I believe there are several tunners available for the 6.7s. The Smarty is just the more popular. I'm sure you will just be daily driving this truck but i believe the stand alone Zues is available for the 6.7 as well from destroked.com. Best suggestion is to just talk to Bob W. He will set you up and have more of an insight as to getting you going. If you could get the original box,thats a bonus for sure.
How do you like it so far? I'm kinda lookin at a few mega cabs, i want leather and manual though. Its a combo that i found isn't common.

I believe there are several tunners available for the 6.7s. The Smarty is just the more popular. I'm sure you will just be daily driving this truck but i believe the stand alone Zues is available for the 6.7 as well from destroked.com. Best suggestion is to just talk to Bob W. He will set you up and have more of an insight as to getting you going. If you could get the original box,thats a bonus for sure.
How do you like it so far? I'm kinda lookin at a few mega cabs, i want leather and manual though. Its a combo that i found isn't common.

Don't mention stand alones I don't want to hear that. I'm limiting myself to a smarty and the clutch that's in it. And an egr delete, and replacing the air box with a big filter, and maybe some nozzles down the road. And a big cp3 or 2...and then an nv4500..:bang

I will try and contact Bob about this and see what he has to say.

I'm lovin' every second of it so far. The exhaust brake is cool as h3ll and you don't hardly even have to touch the service brakes to stop. And you can turn it on when its cold to help warm the engine up.

Heres a pic.

74289_1672104090954_1487967521_1686093_5403795_n.jpg