looking for advice.

Chevycummins

Bad case of Tinkeritis!
i dont know a whole lot on these engines and tried searching for more info. my brothers has a bad head gasket and going to start tearing into it to fix it. looking to see if i can get some help with a parts list we should be getting and replacing to sustain a max of 600-650HP. he already has efilive, kennedy lift pump cold air intake, and exhaust. everything else is stock right now. this truck never sees the track or a sled. the most we use it for is to push a plow in the winter if we see a heavy enough snow, other than that its just a DD for him in bad weather when he cant drive his bike.

so far we know that we are getting studs, head gaskets, possibly a complete ring and bearing kit, a new exhaust manifold, opening up the intake, and looking at turbos.

what brand gaskets should we use and what ones should be avoided?

should we just upgrade the wheel on the turbo or get a new one?

are you all still having luck with the lb7 rods or should we just get a set of the lly or newer?

when are valve springs necessary and do they need different retainers?

is a cam a good idea or not worth the money?

any other build advice is appretiated. would like to take care of what needs to be done while its out and not have to do it later down the road.

You can make it last at 600rwhp with a stock long block, you'll need a built transmission however. Suncoast is my preference. You'll need a turbo and downpipe, some 60 over sticks and a dual cp3 would put you in the 600 range. Not sure the turbo, ik they've discontinued a few for the lb7, check out industrial injection

Forgot to mention its a manual trans and he has a dual disc clutch.

This is just my opinion if I was doing a similar build...

Studs and GM gaskets.

LBZ/LMM rods... they have been shown to hold about 100 more horsepower than the LLY/LB7 rods. If the funds are available I'd just throw Carrillos or Crowers in there and not worry about it again. Cliff notes... you're on the edge of stock rods.

I don't think a cam or valve springs are worth the money at the 600-650 level.

You could put an LBZ regulator on the cp3, it may keep up for a spike. I would say you are going to need some pump mods... ultimately I would do dual cp3s, I don't care for modded single pumps, unless they're required to meet rules. You will probably want bigger sticks so you can back the pulsewidth and timing back.

Ditch the IHI.

LML divers side manifold.

Don't put anything from II on the truck.

I'm probably forgetting something.