looking for some answers for a friend

ccwelder

Pipeliner
Here we go a buddy has a '05 f350 he's looking for more power thats reliable. What do ya'll suggest as far as turbo, programmer. What is everybody else running on thier truck that works good or that is proven. Please list such items and why , and how they would improve or benefit him in anyway Also his truck is an automatic so what upgrades to the tranny if any need to be done, what does he need to reach a goal that is close to 450-500 horsepower. I know that I'm just going on but he has alot of guestions [what is the best turbo, best programmer with the best safety features etc.] . And if there is anything that he should know that was left out, please feel free to share your info. His did mention that he didn't want to do larger injectors. Thanks for your time and helpful information.

i know that pretty much everbody here will tell you to get gauges and an sct programer with custom tunes. the other stuff i have no idea whats good.

Throw a set if gauges and SCT. Maybe billet trans! Once you start it never ends....

450 to 500

ARP studs. They help prevent the head gaskets from blowing (you don't need to fire ring or o-ring at this level)

EGR delete. They exhaust gasses gum everything up, plus they super heat the coolant in the cooler and flash boil the coolant. (First Coast Diesel makes a really high quality kit so do others)

EGR Cooler delete same reason above. (First Coast Diesel and Liberator make good delete kits. First Coast Diesel’s is a little nicer in my opinion)

Gauges to keep an eye on EGT's

Transmission Pan - help lowers tranny temps by 20 degrees or so on our 6.0's. Don't need to build the tranny at this point. (Mag-hytec or something similar)

SCT programmer, make sure you use a well known programmer who knows what they are doing. This is why you don't need to build a tranny. (Doug at GoGo, Eric at Innovative Diesel, Tadd at Elite, Josh at River City Diesel there are others but these are a couple off the top of my head)

Factory intake

Exhaust is good for 12 to 15 hp. 3.5" down pipe with a 4" exhaust works great. (it is all personal preference)

Fuel system upgrade, something larger to the front of the heads. (Trusted Performance)

That will put him around 400 to 450 reliably. The next step gets a little expensive and does sacrifice reliability. (Injectors and turbo) 450 to 500 would be a small set of injectors (150 to 190) and a 62 to a 64mm charger.

HPPROSE , thanks alot this should be very helpful and to the others that put forth your input thank you too, have a great day and god bless you and your family, friends.

just out of curiousity, with a setup like you mentioned HPPROSE, what kind of fuel mileage are you getting out of it?

weazel,

it will vary by driver. The above mods will yeild 1 to 2 mpg better than what the truck was getting stock, if the driver drives it the same. If they have a heavy foot, it will be the same to a little less.

I squeezed a lot of mpg out of my truck when I was testing parts and products. But real work, the mpg was about the same as stock. So, for me it was around 16 to 18 mpg.

Back