looking for twin advice

53 willy

Ive got a p pumped 24 valve that Im thinking I may want to put twins on. It currently has a HTT 64/13 and is kinda laggy for my taste. It has a very healthy pump that schied worked on, and has pretty big injectors. What should I use for a good street twin setup? The truck is totally street and show, no pulling. Ive found a used setup and the guy would be interested in my HTT , his is a hx40 and a ht3b. I didnt know how that set up would flow compared to what Ive got. Thanks

Twins spool slower than singles. Keep that in mind before you decide to go twins. There is a lot of upsides to twins, but that is one down side.

If the 40 and ht3b are slower then what would work well? Im thinking I would like to have something bigger for the bottom one but also spool faster. Ive got alot of smoke and would like to clear it up some, without loosing performance by moving the fuel plate. The truck runs very well, but I always want more.

The hx40/3b works well from about 1600rpms and up. Make sure you know what you are getting into before you get a used set of twins.

An HT3B will flow alot of air, it is old school but it works well for me.

PM sent.

a 62 over a k-31 or s480 is a good common combo
or a stock 35 a over s400

I know a guy that runs a 62 over a reg s4 and it works great for him. I think it is going to take time and money to find out what works best on your rig. If you wanted big flow you could keep your 64 and put it over an s480!

You could run something like a 35/40 hybrid or an s300G with an external gate over an s400 or ht3b and probably have a set up that spools relatively quickly and still cools alright. I personally built a small towing set for fun with small injectors, and it takes longer to get from 0-10psi than it used to, but 10-35psi happens really fast. But thats also with tiny injectors and I haven't tuned it too much yet.
Sean

I'm running a 40/3B set now and the set-up and tuning DO matter. also sizing is more important to twins than a single. I ran my HX40/16 as a single AND as a pair and used a 32 housing on my 3b to reduce the lag on the 40. with a fairly loose converter from idle to 50+psi is 2-3secs! and very smooth. How much power do you think you have? what RPM do you run most often? how much total boost do you expect/can handle?

i dont know the HP but I would guess close to 500, I may be off though. I know it will kill mustangs from a 35-40 roll. RPMS are prob in the high 3s max, dont have a tach, its in a 53 truck and i wnated to leave the interior as stock as possible, but its on the street not the track so its not that high most of the time. Im studded but not oringed so I would think prob 55-60 max boost

I normally wouldnt but I'd recommend you the smaller BD s300 twins.

...sounds like you need to do some afc tuning...sounds like you may be bringing in fuel a little to soon and putting out the fire so to speak.

Ive been thinking some more about what you guys have said, I was thinking maybe use my stock 35( possibly bigger exhaust housing so I have less backpressure) and then get HTT to turn my 64 in to a 66. HTT can also put a bigger 60mm wheel on to my 35, think that would work well? Im wanting as close to no lag as I can get. Thanks Kyle

sell the 64, and either do a 62/65 on top of a 3B or similar turbo, or run the 40/3B. I have a 40/3B setup on my '04, and I don't have spooling problems

Im not that familiar with a 3b what size wheels are in them? I personally would think a 40 on top would light pretty easy with the fuel Ive got, but im no turbo expert.

you could, if on a budget, just keep the 64 and put a K31 under it. May be a tad laggy, But they will wake up nicely. Streetability can be freakin awesome with the right cam. Industrial has a fix for you in the form of a piping kit (as do others, I just prefer II) Call Brady, he will have an educated answer and solution for you based on your application. $.02
www.industrialinjection.com
1-800-955-0476

A twin setup will spool slightly slower than your top turbo would as a single.

it might spool slower, but depending on the setup, it may spool EARLIER enough to make it worth it...

the 35/400 setup I had on my red truck I could get 20psi smoke free at 1500rpm in OD, but it took a long time to get 40psi... make sense?

that wasn't an optimal setup... a better set of twins will spool faster.

the choice between a single and twins depends on a lot of things... altitude, transmission, fueling, intended use, etc.

My II tow twins really do feel like the boost guage is directly connected to the accelarator. If the pedal moves the guage moves, they spool so damn fast, all the way to 65psi. Its Nuckin Futs.

Not all twins spool slower than a single it all depends on your cam and how much fuel your running, HTT will adjust your turbo smaller and bigger to your liking and either a s400 or K31 or 3B on the bottom would be nice setup for you, My twins spool just as fast as my single did all the way to well..... the 100psi boost guage gets pegged so idk :hehe: