looking to go back to the darkside need help?!

blackcloudCTD95

Long story short I'm selling my 6.0 . ( nothing wrong woth it love it trying to buy a house) I'm loooking for a 500-550hp set up. Or more . I'm nabbing my 66/73/91 off my stroker before I sell it so I atleast have a turbo. Now I just need direction of what boxes to run injector size blah blah for a good set up. I'm looking for a manual . I had a 12v and I'm not playing the auto trans game anymore ..

Do I need to do a hrvp or monster pump? Fuel lines? Cross over tubes? valve springs? Studs? Fuel to turn 4k? Pardon my ignoranceI been I the 6.0 tuning world for 4 yrs now. I know a 500hp cummins will be dirty.. but how dirty for a daily driver and being manual? my 6.0 is really clean and she's at 540.

Thank you for the input

TST comp, 150's and studs. 535hp here on stock ho pump. I had bigger cross tubes. Very easy to drive clean. Everything else was stock except clutch

Last edited:
Will doing a aftermarket vp give you more power.. or is only like a 50hp gain.? What size turbo were you running? Valve springs?

Thank you

Lawd jesus please tell me that these motors get decient fuel mileage.. anything is better then 12..

Stock springs, 66/71

I've never run a different pump on this truck so not sure. I want to say it got around 15mpg but I cant remember. It gets around 19 now with the twins and 3.54 gears

500-550:

That charger will be a lag pig, with that turbine anyways. 63/68 or 63/71 would be much better.

7x010"-7x012", or 6x.013" injector
SOVP, no reason to run anything more, as this will be all you need
AD165
TST Comp + TS MVP stack, Adrenaline, FMS + TS MVP, just to name a couple of good box combos
ARP 425 would be fine.
springs are never a bad thing
3600 twin disc

This setup would put you closer to 600 probably. VP's dont make power above about 3400ish, so theres not much reason to turn 4k, unless you want to hook.

500-550:

That charger will be a lag pig, with that turbine anyways. 63/68 or 63/71 would be much better.

AD165
TST Comp + TS MVP stack, Adrenaline, FMS + TS MVP, just to name a couple of good box combos
ARP 425 would be fine.
3600 twin disc

This setup would put you closer to 600 probably. VP's dont make power above about 3400ish, so theres not much reason to turn 4k, unless you want to hook.

This is pretty much the exact setup I'm putting together right now.
SOVP, 63/68 Charger, Studs, O-ring, Ported Exh side of head, and 7x .011". I'm hoping for 550.

Last edited:
500-550:

AD165
ARP 425 would be fine.
3600 twin disc

Ok so here comes my ignorance again. Why all those boxes? What about the smarty mp8 or the edge drag comp? As for getting into injector size and rating. What do the numbers mean when you say 7x10? 7 holes ? When you say a pig are you saying it won't lite for a dd? Being a manual?

So a 63/68/13? Would get me 500-550? Thisbis backasswards from a psd Im lost .. lol my 66 spools like a dream. But that's compairing apples to oranges.

If you did .93 cross over tubes does that give it that choppy idle :/

How can I tell if a truck has a 53 block? Is it on the timing cover woth the cpl number? And do all 53 blocks crack? If so where ?

Ok so here comes my ignorance again. Why all those boxes? What about the smarty mp8 or the edge drag comp? As for getting into injector size and rating. What do the numbers mean when you say 7x10? 7 holes ? When you say a pig are you saying it won't lite for a dd? Being a manual?

So a 63/68/13? Would get me 500-550? Thisbis backasswards from a psd Im lost .. lol my 66 spools like a dream. But that's compairing apples to oranges.

If you did .93 cross over tubes does that give it that choppy idle :/

All the boxes because for a VP truck there really is no box that's good enough to run alone, typically one is used for fuel and the other for timing.

Inj 7x.010" would be a 7 hole ~ 150hp inj, and yes a 66/71 imo would be a dirty sob to dd, a 63/68 would make a nice dd that still has some snot to it.

As far as the cross over tubes i have .93s and I didnt notice a change in idle.

They don't make an mp8 for a vp truck. It is called an "MVP." It is timing only. Meaning that it does not tap the pump. For adjustability purposes it is nice to have a seperate box or programmer for fuel and timing. Injectors is hole count followed by orifice size.

Long story short I'm selling my 6.0 . ( nothing wrong woth it love it trying to buy a house) I'm loooking for a 500-550hp set up. Or more . I'm nabbing my 66/73/91 off my stroker before I sell it so I atleast have a turbo. Now I just need direction of what boxes to run injector size blah blah for a good set up. I'm looking for a manual . I had a 12v and I'm not playing the auto trans game anymore ..

Do I need to do a hrvp or monster pump? Fuel lines? Cross over tubes? valve springs? Studs? Fuel to turn 4k? Pardon my ignoranceI been I the 6.0 tuning world for 4 yrs now. I know a 500hp cummins will be dirty.. but how dirty for a daily driver and being manual? my 6.0 is really clean and she's at 540.

Thank you for the input

if you want to run the 66...7x.012s or 6x.013s for injectors, stock tubes and lines will support more hp than you're looking for. valve springs and studs are a good idea. SO pump over a hrvp or monster. imo you will not like the 66 you have. it will be smokey. tst comp stacked with a ts mvp is what i like the best for a vp.

How can I tell if a truck has a 53 block? Is it on the timing cover woth the cpl number? And do all 53 blocks crack? If so where ?

It's stamped into the block under the P.S pump. And sometimes it's on the other side of the motor too. And no, not all 53 blocks crack. Mine in my 2000 has over 285,000 on it. No cracks, and i run it everyday. And most of the time i'm not to easy on it.

Thank you for all the help .. atleast I got an idea of what way to go and an idea on price. Now I have to find a needle in a hay stack.. its cheaper to build one of these then a 6.0 .. I spent 3150 for a set of injectors so when I see 800-1k I was jumping. For joy lol

Is the stamp something oi can look at if I go under the truck with a light?
What years were there 53's

If you buy a six speed it will more than likely be a ho motor ho pumps aren't really good for much over 500 to 550. So you might wanna consider swapping a so vp. I plan on it as soon as I lose my ho pump.

I'm sure you can find someone willing to swap you chargers for one that will fit your hp level