looney w/ stock exhaust

kiddsplash

no guages, is that a bad idea. I cant afford everything yet, and would like to start with the programmer, and follow up with exhaust and guages. I am not a real hard driver, mainly short burst and fuel economy on long stretches of highway for now. Also is pilot injection an option, ordering fast food is impossible. :thankyou2:

gauges should be your first mod IMO. specially with stock exhaust.

We can see what Viv or DJ say but I would really like to see you run a Pyro before a tuner (esspecially with stock exhaust). Can it be done. Yes. It just isn't adviseable.

Not a good idea, but it is your truck. If you have enough common sense (which I'm sure you do) to keep your foot out of it until you can monitor your temps you will be ok.
You could always run a lower tune until you get some gauges

thanks for the responses, I think I will just run with a light tune or a tow file until exhaust. better safe then parked. How do cylinder preasures compare to stock?

I know the importance of a pyro because my last truck had a lot of mods. Let me ask you this though. You guys that are drag racing with these race tunes, are not backing off the throttle are you? You may be watching it get hot, but I'm guessing that you ain't backing out. I would say that gauges are most important if towing, especially if you live where there are hills.

i will back off it gets to 1500* or so, but that was before the exhaust, that was when we only had the stock exhaust minus muffler and kitty. Now it wont get above 1400* with my foot buried in it.
IMO if he is not gonna get an exhaust for a while, then he still needs the gauges if he is gonna run a race tune, cause a truck will get alot hotter without an exhaust. now if he had an exhaust, if it was me i would not worry too much just running hard with an exhaust and race file. i dont stay in it long enough to get it hot enough though. i hope this makes sense LOL it made sense in my head
BTW kiddsplash i would at least have the muffler and kitty cut out of your stock exhaust, it will breathe a little better and sound awesome! it only cost us 75$ before we had our exhaust, the guy cut behind the muffer and right before the cat, then put in a piece of straight pipe. He also stuck on a 5" tip.

It sounds like I could skip the guages and go with a good 4 inch exhaust and just stay out of it and be fine for a while. I have seen alot of posts with a good tune staying well below 1400 even pulling loads. 1 programmer 2 exhaust 3 gauges. Sounds good. Thanks for the info and advice.

or you could go with gauges and a race file, and stock exhaust minus cat and muffler and just keep an eye on the temps. what does everyone else think?

thats a thought, how long does it take for egt to get up there on a stock exhaust. At least I would be safe and have the knowledge. I guess that is my decision Safe with gauges but light foot, or Exhaust and unknown egt and light foot. Thanks for the help. So many decisions trying to decide order of mods. Cost vs performance. So little info when it really comes down to it from the venders sites. I guess a phone call is in order.

i say gauges, SCT and modified stock exhaust, if you have the gauges and SCT you can run hard, and just keep an eye on the temps and back down if its getting too hot, so that way you can still run it hard with a heavy foot, and you can just watch your temps :)

EGT a MUST

buy the gauges before any MODS period
or roll the dice with all that carefull talk
You don't know what your engine is doing and thats JUST NOT GOOD !!!!!
i SPEAK FROM EXPERIENCE , I MELTED THE TURBO ON MY OLD 7.3 BECAUSE OF NO PYROMETER, do an EGT sensor First it is VERY CHEAP INS.
good luck with your light right foot:rockwoot:

I did my exhaust first since I tow alot. Then I did the SCT, and last were the guages. Now it's in for studs and a fuel system. DJ's files are real good. I can tow with the tune in it now since I can keep an eye on the egts. Generally don't have any problems.