Loose Steering

Smoky

Truck has real loose steering feels like a boat. I can turn the wheel bout
1/8 of a turn before anything happens. Dads truck does is the same way not as bad though. Does anyone else have this problem? Is ther anything that can be done to fix this?

Check over all the front end components really good, especially the tracbar if it's 4wd. Easy way to check the tracbar is to lay on the ground with the truck running and have someone turn the wheel just a bit, if it moves any at the ball and socket end replace it with a new unit or an improved aftermarket one. If all components are good and tight you can tighten up the steering box and see if that helps. I can walk you through the procedure, but if you are unsure of your mechanic skills take it to a good shop and let them handle it.

ill give it a whirl thanks for the help. who makes aftermarket parts for the steering if anything needs replaced?

ill give it a whirl thanks for the help. who makes aftermarket parts for the steering if anything needs replaced?

The best upgrade that you can make is a 3rd gen track bar conversion. You will need a 3rd gen track bar & mounting bracket. www.sourceautomotive.biz sells them. They are pricey, but worth the money for good steering. Napa sells replacement track bars with lifetime warranty, but 2nd gen bars where out fast & you will get tired of replacing them. I've heard good things about the Thuren track bars, but never used one. I'm not sure where to buy a Thuren bar, but I'm sure someone will help. Another good upgrade is the DSS steering stabilizer [also sold by source automotive], I love mine. Also, be sure to check the frame where the steering box mounts, the frames are known to crack there & cause bad steering. Another thing is the steering shaft going from the column to the steering gear box, they can have excessive play which causes wandering. Right at the bottom of the steering colum, there is a bearing which the shaft rides on. That bearing will sometimes where out & cause a loose feel in the steering. I replaced mine with a "Rock solid bushing". Heres a link http://www.rocksolidramtrucksteering.com/ The steering gear box can sometimes be adjusted if you have excessive play in the box, If replacement is needed.... AGR boxes are sold by Summit racing. I replaced my box with a 3 turn lock to lock box & this made a huge difference in steering. 3 turn boxes were installed on 2001 up trucks. 98.5-00 had 4 turn boxes which were way less responsive & bad handling. My steering is now great! It was expensive to fix, but worth every penny.

There is another option that will remove all of that slop in your steering.

It is not cheap. In fact, of all your options to fix the steering, this is probably the most expensive.

But, it works. Really damn well. Here are a few videos I made:

Here is the factory second gen steering after about 107k miles:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_UCU_53U6Q

And here is a 3rd gen steering box swap:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3za1PmLl_dQ&NR=1

I got my kit from www.wildhorsesuspension.com . It is a very easy swap. The only part you really have to worry about is pulling the tie rod ball joint out of the pitman arm, and flushing the system after you are done. Both are extremely easy.

Like I said, it isn't a cheap solution, but I've driven trucks with a DSS, 3rd gen track bar, and even a few guys that built a track bar using polyurathane bushings.. They work, but this seems to work even better.

I can tell you this though: the 3rd gen steering has a quicker turn to turn ratio then the factory 2nd gen.. It is funny as hell to drive your truck for about 3 weeks. You cut every corner too tight, and in parking lots it looks like you are driving drunk from all the weaving. :D

There is another option that will remove all of that slop in your steering.

It is not cheap. In fact, of all your options to fix the steering, this is probably the most expensive.

But, it works. Really damn well. Here are a few videos I made:

Here is the factory second gen steering after about 107k miles:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_UCU_53U6Q

And here is a 3rd gen steering box swap:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3za1PmLl_dQ&NR=1

I got my kit from www.wildhorsesuspension.com . It is a very easy swap. The only part you really have to worry about is pulling the tie rod ball joint out of the pitman arm, and flushing the system after you are done. Both are extremely easy.

Like I said, it isn't a cheap solution, but I've driven trucks with a DSS, 3rd gen track bar, and even a few guys that built a track bar using polyurathane bushings.. They work, but this seems to work even better.

I can tell you this though: the 3rd gen steering has a quicker turn to turn ratio then the factory 2nd gen.. It is funny as hell to drive your truck for about 3 weeks. You cut every corner too tight, and in parking lots it looks like you are driving drunk from all the weaving. :D

Bad link, won't open. I'd like to check that out, my friend is getting ready to do his steering. Does a 3rd gen box just bolt into place?

Check your steering shaft as well. My steering was getting really bad and I thought the box was going out (fairly new PSC box). Well it turned out to be the steering shaft. For whatever reason the splines were mostly stripped out at the steering box end and the shaft was rotating a good 1/2-3/4 of a turn before moving the steering box :doh:

Bad link, won't open. I'd like to check that out, my friend is getting ready to do his steering. Does a 3rd gen box just bolt into place?

Yes and no.

You have to buy an adapter plate to change the bolt pattern from the 3rd gen to the 2nd gen. That is included in the kit. So, it does "bolt in" with the adapter plate.

You also have to cut one of the lines off your power steering pump.

I think his site is down for some reason or another. Hopefully he gets it resolved soon.

Thanks for all the help guys. Hopefully i can look into it and get it fixed this spring, already put the truck away for the year. Figured after going in the ditch after the first snow, it was time.

You can get the 2nd gen stuff to work nice too. My truck has 184000 on it and it has less play than in the vid of the 3rd gen steering. 4x4 and 35" tires too.

I put a Doug Thuren (think that's the brand) trackbar a few years ago and a PCS steering box/brace. The TREs I think were replaced at some point by another owner. not sure when. I've had the truck for close to 50,000 miles now.