Loose Torque converter bolts?

Bobcat698

Pure Diesel Power
Since installing the last converter (the loose one that allows me to spool my charger in low range) I have been having a "slight" issue.

I run an ATS billet flex plate.

Initially when we swapped converters, we used blue lock-tite and new tc bolts and tightened them to spec. After much street beating and a couple hooks, I shut the truck down one day and heard a rattle as the rpms dropped to 0.

We did some checking and found the tc bolts to be loose. We re-torqued them and they were fine for 2 additional hooks. I then did some more street testing and as I slowed for a stop sign I heard a loud rattle (similar to the shut down rattle I hear before). When I hit the throttle again, the rattle dissapeared (probably because it loaded the bolts once again)

We got the truck back to the shop and removed and replaced the bolts one at a time, again applying blue lock-tite.

Any ideas on what may be going on?

If the flywheel is damaged from them coming loose the first time, they aren't going to stay tight.$.02

Are you letting the lock tite have enough time to setup before starting the truck?

Or check your torque converter for "egging" when they came loose the first time...

The Threads iin the TQ are fine. the bolt holes on the flex plate feel fine, late and didn't have time to make sure. the truck dose have a fluided dampener and is set up to rev past 4000rpm. don't want to use red locktight but might have to if this happens again.

I have personal experience with the exact same issue. When I put my ATS and TC under my truck, I used blue locktite and a couple of the bolts backed all the way out. I've had this happen 3 times since I installed the new tranny. 1st time -used blue locktite and it didn't last a weekend 2nd time - used red but not enough 3rd time - I had a friend get under the truck and load the bolts with red locktite and haven't had an issue since.

Blue locktite breaks down when introduced to heat. You'll have to use the red locktite and give it ample time to set after you torque the bolts. One good thing about the red is, you'll never hear that terrible grinding/knocking/rattling sound again.

Oh and make sure you clean the threads on the bolts and the threads in the TC with denatured alcohol or something alike. It will give you a little more reassuance there isn't any oil or anything else to keep the locktite from setting up good.

Last edited:
Joker12valve said:
The Threads iin the TQ are fine. the bolt holes on the flex plate feel fine, late and didn't have time to make sure. the truck dose have a fluided dampener and is set up to rev past 4000rpm. don't want to use red locktight but might have to if this happens again.

Gotta use red loctite. I use it everytime and have no comebacks.:Cheer:

don't know that this is anything but, I had the same problem with a Suncoast flex plate.

Because of the bolts backing out, the female threads in the crank were wallowed and had to be retapped. Maybe you're having the same issue. If you bolts backed out and you ran it like that for a while, your threads may be bigger than the bolts now.

I excuse I got was the laminate that Suncoast uses. The claim was that there was too much around the holes that bolt to the crank and once heated up, the laminate melted away leaving the bolt loose and they backed out.

Since you have an ATS this obviously isn't the case with your.

Good luck with it !

I know when James built my tranny he used red locktite on the bolts and DTT told him that it needed 24 hours to dry before the truck can be moved to make sure that everything is setup.

Mine came loose about 2500 miles after install, and after some hard running...I took them all out, applied red loctite, and torqued them back. No problems since, and I have raced it three or four times since then! This was with a DTT Billet plate!

Chris

No problems with the aluminum reactor flexplate and blue loctite. The loctite is always working when I want mine to come out. Maybe the surface where the flexplate mounts on the crank isn't perfectly flat and causes an out-of-balance situation?

Well it sound like I will be redoing it with the red stuff.

Great as soon as i put it back together garret will break something and they won't come out. that would be just my luck, oh well.