losing oil. a lot.

ChaseN

Jobless/Truckless
got a question..
this pertains to a certain 05 cummins with 150k miles.

we just got done putting a new turbo and exhaust manifold on it and >100 miles later, it is blowing oil out of the tube like crazy!! if hauling with it, it will use over a gallon in no time!! it is all just pouring out of the tube that hangs by the motor. the whole under truck is coated in oil, a long with the tailgate and backhoe ha.

the truck only has 150k miles, how in the world does it already have bad rings????

my buddies are running some trucks with well over 200k and 300k and still on original rings, so why did mine wear out so quickly and all of a sudden?

You sure it's coming out of the tube and not the return line from the turbo?

100% positive because when i open the oil filler cap, it will spit oil everywhere!!

Otherwise, a compression check and a bore scope could confirm the diagnosis. You could have a blown head gasket increasing your crankcase pressure and causing the excess blow-by. I'm just thinking since you swapped chargers recently you could have an issue with the oil line on that side. I would "doubt" it was rings this early (or a burnt piston) unless you were really abusing the crap out of it.

Does it run funny otherwise? Miss on a cylinder?

it runs fine, cranks fine, everything is fine, other then a crap load of oil exiting the tube. you can sit there and watch it drip out of it while it's ideling.

it runs fine, cranks fine, everything is fine, other then a crap load of oil exiting the tube. you can sit there and watch it drip out of it while it's ideling.

Overflow tank bubbling?

don't worry, i will not mechanic on anything.
just get a closer look at things.

I have the exact same thing wrong with my 03 and its a broken ring. Truck has 153K on it.

Last edited:
Back