love the snow, the truck hates it! WTF

ChaseN

Jobless/Truckless
well all is fine the whole way to houston from new orleans until i hit the snow outside of houston.

from that point til i shut it off at my house, i ran a constant 25-30psi boost under any acceleration. also, everytime i let off the throttle, i had a hell of a turbo "swoosh".

what gives?

i checked my intake and all is still fine. anyone got any ideas?

Snow? You can't call this snow. My guess is the fact you where driving into a good head wind.

sounds like it caught a cold to me, poor southern truck cant handle the cold haha just messin with ya

not headwind.. i just took it down the road about 40 miles and it's still doing it.
damn guess it's going in the shop monday when i get back to la.

Update!!

drove from houston, to austin, to san antonio & back to houston and just as i was getting back into houston.. i got some new problems..

a constant flutter noise from something in the engine, speed of it varies on RPMs.

A LOT MORE "swoosh" from intake.

and a CEL. will go to auto zone in the AM to have the codes read.

WTF guys.. only 19k miles!!!!

Its a powerstroke.............I had problems with mine in the cold too. Thats one of the reasons i got rid of it. It was new everything in good working order and still hated starting in the cold or driving in the cold seemed like it took it half an hour to warm up too.

I love ford pickups they ride nice and they are a solid truck. But they have a big down fall and it's the powerchoke engine. My 99 with only 80k on it left me walkin every time I took it hunting or Ice fishing below 25 deg. . Countless glow plug and relays later I bought a Cummins and would never go back. This truck should be covered by ford have them fix it and then sell it.

just got done putting on the factory intake and within less than a mile of test driving i got the wrench symbol.
truck has reduced power.
cannot get over 20mph.

POWERSTROKE IS NOT THE PROBLEM!! READ THE FORUM RULES!! NO BASHING BRANDS/MAKES!!

I've started my 6.0 up all last year without plugging it in at temps nearing 0F or lower sometimes. Always fired up. This was with 15w-40 oil too.

i have had 5 fords with diesels starting with a 7.3 idi and now an 08 F-550 and never plugged any of them in and they start every time.. and i know about the cold i live in canada

my 6.0l only never started 2 twice in the cold, both times well under 0.. What did you get when you checked the codes for the CEL

That's tough talk coming from a powerstroke, worlds worst cold starting motor ever.

Its a powerstroke.............I had problems with mine in the cold too. Thats one of the reasons i got rid of it. It was new everything in good working order and still hated starting in the cold or driving in the cold seemed like it took it half an hour to warm up too.

I love ford pickups they ride nice and they are a solid truck. But they have a big down fall and it's the powerchoke engine. My 99 with only 80k on it left me walkin every time I took it hunting or Ice fishing below 25 deg. . Countless glow plug and relays later I bought a Cummins and would never go back. This truck should be covered by ford have them fix it and then sell it.

Im willing to bet that all of thoughs trucks had HUEI injection the 6.4 Does NOT...

That being said my truck starts great not plugged in, even below 0

Sounds like its DPF issues, cold weather may have also plugged the EBP sensor and its running the VGT duty cycle at weird number which will give you the high boost.

it was DPF related! problem is now fixed.

once again, it had NOTHING to do with the fact it is a Ford or Powerstroke.

just a man made problem!

Back