Low end boost

Ruben774

Does any one know how I can get better low end boost? I bought my truck used and the turbo looks stock but it will not start to build boost till around 1200 rpm and it builds it slow. It produces alot of smoke but no boost. I dont know what to adjust. Oh ya and the egts hit 1200 deg @ 35 psi 2600 rpm. As far as I know the injectors are stock as well. The plate is about 3/4 forward and afc is all the way forward. Star wheel is unkown.

You may want to check for boost leaks. I put off doing it for quite a while. I regret not having checked right away. It's amazing how a small leak has a big effect on boost.

What do you mean by tighten the afc?

Look at the starwheel and see where it is.... It sounds like it needs to be tightened up. The AFC wasn't gutted by chance was it? Also, you would be surprised the difference a small leak will make... It will still make decent boost sometimes though.

How would I check for leak when it has no boost at idle? Does it produce any vac. at idle?

Pressurize the system with the engine off.

Make a plug for the end with a fitting you can hook to your air compressor.

I'm guessing you need to tighten your AFC up some.

How would I check for leak when it has no boost at idle? Does it produce any vac. at idle?

A couple of PVC pipe caps that are 3" OD, a couple of fittings, regulated shop air, and some soapy water. Take the elbow that comes off the turbo out of the boot and place one of the plugs there and the other in the boot off the intake horn. Obviously one would have to be modified by drilling and tapping it to adapt it to the regulated shop air. Apply some pressure and slowly go over all pipes and boots as well as the entire IC with the soapy water. That is if you can't hear the leak immediately.

Good luck :Cheer:

no leaks. To tighten afc looking from the frount of the engine do you go clockwise or counter clockwise? Or toward the engine or away?

Righty Tighty, Lefty Loosy. You want the star wheel to move towards the cab. Or move the whole housing.

Righty Tighty, Lefty Loosy. You want the star wheel to move towards the cab. Or move the whole housing.

isnt tightening it all the way towards the front of the engine not towards the cab?

If i was u id take the plate out to see if its stock or if its a modified plate and go from there. You could be dealing with like a 0 plate thats dumping so much fuel so early (hense the smoke) you have lag so tightening it will just make it worse.

Whats the fastest boost building plate? Or is it just a mater of tuning? By the way my starwheel is all the way in. The plate looks like a 100 but instead of a ramp to flat it has two ramps looks like a U.

If i was u id take the plate out to see if its stock or if its a modified plate and go from there. You could be dealing with like a 0 plate thats dumping so much fuel so early (hense the smoke) you have lag so tightening it will just make it worse.

What? How does tightening the AFC make it worse for smoke and lag?

Whats the fastest boost building plate? Or is it just a mater of tuning? By the way my starwheel is all the way in. The plate looks like a 100 but instead of a ramp to flat it has two ramps looks like a U.

Sounds like you are running a 10 plate. Plate won't affect your spool up, that will all be in your AFC tuning. Less is more, in many cases.