Low pressure comp wheel

rebel127

Detroit Fuel Squeezer
Was there ever a comp wheel that was designed specifecly for low pressure charger??? Most chargers 4-1+ to get the most lbm. but did they ever have a disign that moved more at say 1.5-1 pr??

Yup....some Garretts were specifically made that way for sure, as the amosphere charger in a set of compound twins.

From the maps I've seen, the Holset HC5a had at least one variant that was the same way.

Neither were 1.5 but they were very efficient at ~ 2.

would you know any actual model #'s most the low pressure charges ive run are just the biggest things i can find but the maps ive seen there in the 3-1+ range!!!

nwpadmax - I tried to send you a PM with a question regarding this - your PM box is full.

nwpadmax how does a 106 garret thumper flow at low pressure ratios g trim wheel? I cant find a map for it.

What general size range are we talking?

I figure no matter what size it is as long as it was a low pressure disign!! to see how the tip hieght and blade angle compare to what is available. I guess the question is if say a 99mm wheel moves 165 pounds per min at 3-1 PR by design changes to the wheel could it move 165 pounds at 2-1 PR??

Sorry, been on the chitter for 2 days...

As far as the purpose-built low pressure compressors, 88mm was as big as Garrett went, from what I can tell. If you need bigger than that, the only map I've seen is in Miller's "Turbo" book that has an HC5a with a real flattish map that runs out to >180 lb/min @ PR = 2.8, at PR 2.0 ~ 165 lb/min.

Lostinwlamart - I'm trying to figure that out. Few people want to say actually what a "G-trim" wheel is. It is a bit smaller than a GT60 wheel and it's been hinted that it's something older that's been adapted from an OEM-specific charger. If I could get the part number for it, it would help a lot, but I don't think anyone's going to be giving it to me. The G-trim is in reference to the turbine wheel.

The compressor on an ordinary 106 is most likely the stock 56 trim Garrett 141mm wheel that you can find the details on turbobygarrett.com. If you're referring to the Precision 106, as I understand it, PTE got started with mostly Garrett parts, but in the past few years has gone its own way. Hard to say if the 106 you buy now is the same thing as an older 106. Definitely not, if it has a PTE billet wheel in it.

Rebel-

If you need that much air, why not twin GT47s for your "primary"? Easy 180 lb/min at PR 2...

More if you have good intercooling...

Rebel-

If you need that much air, why not twin GT47s for your "primary"? Easy 180 lb/min at PR 2...

More if you have good intercooling...

Agreed 100% but two charger rule!!!!!!!!!! im already running 109mm ind I'm thinking of getting a billet wheel made but most of the wheels ive seen are more of a hpr wheel's so i was thinking of coping a low pressure disign!!

Lostinwlamart - I'm trying to figure that out. Few people want to say actually what a "G-trim" wheel is. It is a bit smaller than a GT60 wheel and it's been hinted that it's something older that's been adapted from an OEM-specific charger. If I could get the part number for it, it would help a lot, but I don't think anyone's going to be giving it to me. The G-trim is in reference to the turbine wheel.

The compressor on an ordinary 106 is most likely the stock 56 trim Garrett 141mm wheel that you can find the details on turbobygarrett.com. If you're referring to the Precision 106, as I understand it, PTE got started with mostly Garrett parts, but in the past few years has gone its own way. Hard to say if the 106 you buy now is the same thing as an older 106. Definitely not, if it has a PTE billet wheel in it.

Knew that part ;) The exducer of the turbine wheel is 118mm haven't taken it apart to measure the inducer. I have always heard of the g trim being referenced to the larger holesets (hx82 ish size). The compressor is a cast wheel it's 140mm +- 2 or two so im guessing its the gt6041 wheel. This is the best picture i have of it right now.

2001ae63.jpg

The map looks to max out around 2.8 ish so this may work very well for what I need, it will have a gt4202 for the small charger. Thanks for the help :bow:
731377-1comp.jpg