Lower Intercooler Boot Option

NickTF

Single turbo turd.
http://hosetechniques.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=103_287

I split a peak boot (may be my second, can't remember) and am looking into options which will perform better if available. The previously linked option is 6-ply nomex (aramid). I can't find any information regarding the plys or material of the Peak piece. Anyone tried one of these?

Also, the factory lower intercooler boot is 45* correct? I didn't think it was 60* but want to make sure.

I have searched this forum with no answers to my questions. Thanks.

I'm almost positive it's a 45* I have BD boots on mine and they are pretty damn thick.

I think its a 45○ boot. I have a couple Vulcan lower boots almost new I would part with cheap. swapped to a spearco which takes straight boots

Bd boots stopped being a reliable option in my experience when boost consistently was above 50psi. The Peak piece tore at just north of 90 psi. 45* seems accurate to me. When I pull busted boot off tonight I will have a better idea.

Further examination shows tears are just surficial on the Peak boot. May not be too long before it completely goes though so still will replace soon. Found my manifold cover bolts to be loose on the rear of the motor. Not sure if the gasket shrunk or what. Also found a leak on intercooler pipe. Going to tear down further and see how bad that leak is and repair.

I've always thought of cutting the ends off the intercooler and welding on three inch aluminum pipe at the angle the boot makes. This would make a straight three inch coupler,easy to get and keep extras. Do they need that much boot for flex?

Yes its a 45 but its a 3" to 3.5" transition 45. Seem to all have issues swelling and eventually rupturing or swelling so much that they pull out of the clamp. We have run every brand out there and best solution is just build new piping that makes straight connections and use a form of heavy duty radiator hose. We run the blue hose man. By gates that oriellys sells its tough stuff. Part # 24864 i believe is the 4" but that will give them an idea of how to look up the 3" they sell.

I think it's 3.61 on the big end. That's what makes it hard to get unless it's for that app.

I think it's 3.61 on the big end. That's what makes it hard to get unless it's for that app.

Yep. Found this out the hard way. Ordered 3-3.5 boots once and I couldn't get them to slip on after messing with them for way too long.

Ok, so I intend to straighten this connection when I create the new pipe. I'd like to use a transition hose from 3.00 to 3.5". My intercooler is not the factory intercooler, it is a unit from City Diesel. I am hoping it is not the oddball 3.6 whatever OD size. That is a real pain if so, nearly no one makes anything that odd size and I'd think a 3.5" hose could be made to fit over that but I could certainly be wrong about that.

I took the IC pipe off last night and measured the inlet of the IC before the bevel/flare at 3.54" or so. Seems like a 3.5" hose should work. I think I'm going to get a straight transition hose from hosetechniques and see how that works. It will be a 3 to 3.5 inch transition. Rated for 50psi working pressure and 145psi burst pressure with a max temp rating of 500F. There really isn't enough room between the fender and the IC inlet and fender to transition to 3.5" with the piping and use a straight 3.5" hose.

http://hosetechniques.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=101_7&products_id=2118