Lowering a 4wd

I need some info. on how one would go about lowering a 4wd 2nd gen. Im a paraplegic so as u would imagine, the lower the seat height, the better. Just a lot less work that I have to do to get in and out of the truck, plus it helps save on my joints and shoulders. My current daily driver is a 2003 chevy 4x4gasser. Just turned over 105K and its out of warranty. With the seat lowered all the way down, that still leaves at least a foot between the height of my wheelchair seat, and the truck seat. Ive learned to manage it pretty well, as ive had the truck for the past 5 years. Id like to trade it in on another cummins. Preferably a 2nd gen, extended cab 4wd. The only problem with that is, the dodges sit up quite a bit higher than the chevys. I can get in and out of my dodge by myself, but its quite the haul for me, and definitely not something that I want to have to deal with on a daily driver. I have considered getting a 2wd, but if at all possible i'd like to have a 4wd as I frequently use it in the winter and around on our farm. But if Im going to get a 4wd, im gonna have to do something about the seat height, because its just too high for me to get in and out of all the time. It doesnt have to be lowered permanantly either, just be able to be lowered when i get in and out of the truck. So I have a couple questions that I hope some of you might be able to help me with...

1. Whats the best way to lower a 4wd 2nd gen?
2. How much can it be lowered?

Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance for any advice:cool:

I know it will give you sticker shock but maybe the kelderman air ride suspension could be adapted to work in your situation. I wanted to lower my 4wd dually and it is pretty much impossible because of the front diff to frame and oil pan clearance. thats on a ford though. its a shame someone does not make a seat that could swivel out and lower down. good luck on your search.

TB,
You can remove some leafs out of the rear and get some shorter coils for the front. (Duke1n has some on his rig) The ride will suffer, and towing capability will be reduced, but it will get the truck down.

There was a guy that used to work here that had a '99 Dodge dually. He butchered out the floor pan under the drivers seat and installed a air ride seat like the ones in the big trucks. I don't know how much they lower when deflated, but that would give you a lower seat height and once you're in, air it up to the position you want. You have to drop the floor of the cab to get her in there, but it would be cool on those long haul trips on these pos highways around here. Good luck.

Timbeaux38 said:
TB,
You can remove some leafs out of the rear and get some shorter coils for the front. (Duke1n has some on his rig) The ride will suffer, and towing capability will be reduced, but it will get the truck down.

Depending on how far you want to go, take the factory block out of the rear, and either put in a shorter one, or remove it all together. Have custom coils made for the front...but I'd talk to Thuren/Lorenz/KORE and see if they have any idea what kind of spring specs might help you keep some ride quality and weight rating with a shorter height!

Or call T-Rex or Kelderman and tell them you want to slam it, then raise it! $$$$

Good luck TB,
Chris