LSD getting noisey...

wildmanben

Farmboy...
So after the pull the other night the LSD in the Dana 80 started clicking, knocking, clunking when I turn on pavement. On gravel it acts like its locked up. So I suppose I need to rebuild the LSD? Or should I look into something else? Wheres a good place to get a rebuild kit?

Better pull the plug and check for munched spider gears!
Then, don't even replace them, throw a detroit locker in it and be done with it!

I am thinking thats the way to go, Something let go on the way to the shop and now my cover has a hole in it and no oil.....:doh:

This is gonna be expensive....

Yep, spider gears are gone.
I replaced mine once after they went the first time.
Just put the detroit in in and have the hole welded up.

satburn goes out and kisses his LSD in the driveway, sprinkles holy water on it and offers a sacrifice of JB Weld and the neighbor's cat.

yeah you hush, your next buddy...

Talked to Randys ring and pinion. Detroit doest offer a locker for a D80 with 3.54s? But the guy mentioned that he had heard of a shop out there using d70 detroits in the 80 housing? Myth or Truth? Somethings going to have to happen here soon.

wildmanben said:

Talked to Randys ring and pinion. Detroit doest offer a locker for a D80 with 3.54s? But the guy mentioned that he had heard of a shop out there using d70 detroits in the 80 housing? Myth or Truth? Somethings going to have to happen here soon.

Order the Dana 80 Detroit locker for the 4.10
When you have it installed, install both of the "case savers" on the passenger side and everything should line up without a hitch.. That is how mine is set up.

i went with the arb after my lsd took a gernade for the team

wildmanben said:

Oh I know, trust me. I don't round a corner anymore without an ear to the back listening for that infamous clunk. It's living on borrowed time. But if you're ruining rearends now, you're "almost" making enough power. Just a little more to snap those axles and it should be about perfect, right? LOL

Bobcat698 said:
Order the Dana 80 Detroit locker for the 4.10
When you have it installed, install both of the "case savers" on the passenger side and everything should line up without a hitch.. That is how mine is set up.

Explain this to me, I had the cover off and dont see what these "case savers" are... Could you PM me a price on one?

also heard that a D70HD unit will work if you drill the ring gear holes out larger. Any truth to that?

wildmanben said:
also heard that a D70HD unit will work if you drill the ring gear holes out larger. Any truth to that?

Will work, but why modify it and void the warranty?

Treu. so get the 4.10 ratio and call it done? Whats a good price on them? Could you explain the case savers thing to me also?

wildmanben said:
Treu. so get the 4.10 ratio and call it done? Whats a good price on them? Could you explain the case savers thing to me also?

I'm not a rear end guy, I just know what the numbers mean ratio wise.
I just buy the parts and :pop: while they set em up.

I'm not sure what the technical term is for case savers is.. I know that normally one "case saver" is on either side of the gear set. To use the 4.10 Detroit in a 3.54 rear end you need to stack both case savers on the passenger side so that things will line up.