M35a3

inline6359

Microwaving cats since 01
I am looking at getting a m35a3. I have looked and found that besides the CTIS they seem to be pretty reliable. Does anybody have any experience with these trucks, the 3116 cat engine and the allison.

I now the 3116 is more reliable the the 465 multi fuels but thus about it.

How much can i get out of the 3116 before i need to be concerned about it and the transmission?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

The trans is not up to any more power, and rated at 235hp/445 tq. The 3116 can make more, just need the marine injectors and a good turbo or 2. It's not going to take tons of power, so be prepared to spend lots of $$$$.
Sell the trans on ebay, it's a rare item. AT1545, which is an AT545 with a lockup converter. Upgrade to an MT643/653, an MD3060, or 2000 series.

Last edited:
I have never had any luck from the 3116/3126/C7 engines. Mainly out of injector tips breaking off and trashing pistons and turbos. All these engines were bone stock too. Most with 150,000 miles, the oldest had 207,000.

There is a ton of info over on Steel Soldiers.com. Its another forum and is all military vehicles.

As far as CTIS goes, if it works good you are set. If not, it can be a biotch to trace out. I also know the auto trans makes it a much nicer rig instead of the m35a2.

Well I was looking at an m35a2 but it was sold out from under me. Not to mention by the time I put single tires on an m35a2 I'm in the territory of a m35a3. I don't plan on doing anything extreme with the 3116 but a little increase crossed my mind. The one I am looking at has 5300 original miles on it, so I doubt i will get anywhere near the mileage for problems.

I am a new member of steel soldiers, howerer there dosent seem to be a lot of performance based threads on the 3116. Most keep them stock or swap engines.

Yeah I hear ya. They dont seem too much into it. But if you know your diesel performance they will help you. They're there to help with everything else besides that LOL

Back