Machine work for duramax in houston area?

bsmith

Never enough
my friend is rebuilding his lbz and needs to get his crankshaft keyed.

no one around here wants to do it. he called hotroddiesel and they didnt want anything to do with it either.

so who can key a crankshaft in the houston area?

is there an alternate to keying the crankshaft, maybe drilling a hole and putting a pin through it?

Last edited:
Mods if their is a better place that gets more traffic please move this.

my friends engine will be going back together this week hopefully and he needs his crankshaft keyed.

Call Westside Machine. If the can't do it they will tell you who can.
If I had a 4th on my table I would.

PM member LarryJewell on here and ask him. He was involved with a shop in Houston (I'm pretty sure it was in Houston anyways) that recently built a 7.1 Stroker Duramax. If that shop didn't key it themselves, Larry should be able to tell you who they did use or get you in contact with the shop.

Good luck.

Call Westside Machine. If the can't do it they will tell you who can.
If I had a 4th on my table I would.

Do you have a Bridgeport and a good Kurt style vise? All said and done it takes about 45mins to key a crank. I have done it and can walk you thru it if needed . It is really not bad to do.

PM member LarryJewell on here and ask him. He was involved with a shop in Houston (I'm pretty sure it was in Houston anyways) that recently built a 7.1 Stroker Duramax. If that shop didn't key it themselves, Larry should be able to tell you who they did use or get you in contact with the shop.

Good luck.

I fail... I am mistaken on the location of the guys I'm talking about... they are about 8 hours away. Sorry. :bang :doh:

was gonna say just take it to a machine shop if you do not have access to a milling machine. Any competent machinist can key your crank.

was gonna say just take it to a machine shop if you do not have access to a milling machine. Any competent machinist can key your crank.

he got it done around here. most didnt wanna touch it though, not even in houston.