Machining keyway in ppump gear

Carter2409

Ok so this might be a dumb idea or it might not be. I was thinking of taking my timing gear for the p pump to a machine shop and have them cut a keyway into it.

I know they make the adjustable gear but that is close to 800

The machine shop will machine a keyway for around 100 bucks so I think that is way more reasonable

Now when it comes to timing it initially it's going to suck because you'll have to remove the timing cover to adjust the timing every time because you'll have to take the timing gear completely off the pump shaft but after that you'll never have to worry about slipping timing

Any thoughts???? I the chance of slipping timing is very slim especially if you do it right but I like the guarantied chance of never slipping timing

Just clean everything thing up with electric cleaner and torque it to 175 ft-lbs. And forget about it.

if u just put it keyway on there you will only be able to adjust it 10 degees at time ?

Scheid has them for around $300. Don't know who is trying to get your for $800 but I would not buy anything from them any more.

$100 seems high to broach a keyway into a gear anyhow. Either buy an adjustable gear, or do it the conventional way. Unless slipping timing is a constant problem for you, I wouldn't ever key a stock gear.

Timing adjustment will be a issue.

You couldn't get me to broach one of those hard bastards for $100.