Made offer on 2002 Dmax...???? Please give me your thoughts

Big Swole

MegaInterceptor
My girlfriend wants a diesel truck now!!!! Woo Hoo!!! she needs something to tow her horses...I'm a Cummins guy but am interested in the Dmax....Please educate me!!

I made offer on a 2002 Chevy Dmax 4x4 with LT package...Red w/Tan leather, All options....146K miles...Great condition inside and out....The truck looks and seems TOTALLY STOCK.....He's a landscape co. owner and it was his truck...buisness in FL too....lots of hwy miles......

First off, He was asking $18,000..........I offered $14,500 and HE TOOK IT!!! How is that for the price???????? Seems pretty dang good to me!!!

Ok, now i'm freaked because I'm not sure what to expect from owning a Dmax....I know the LB7 motor had an injector recall right??? I've also heard that GM extended it to 200,000 miles....Correct???......At 146K what should I expect.....Is it possible that it won't need anything if its been taken care of and will continue to be..????

Please!! offer anything to help me here before I close the deal......

Thanks in advance!!!

David

David that is lower than Black Book wholesale....... Have you physically seen the truck?

David that is lower than Black Book wholesale....... Have you physically seen the truck?

Yeah man!! We drove it quite a bit today.....Man!!! It nice.....Of course it does fell very fast but will be Fine for her....She doesn't even want to modify it....Kewl for my wallet, but man I'm starting to like the Dmax's.....Not gonna jump though....I like my Cummins!!

Anyway!! I was thinking that was an awesome price...Body's in great shape. Only one ding on passenger rear door....Tires are ok and bigger than stock...The interior is CLEAN!! heated seat, CD, cass, Power everyting!!!!!

My main concern is the mileage....Is 146K ok??? He said it need nothing other that normal maintenance!!!!

Thought??

BTW.....The guys got aobut 7 trucks and has two foresale......Landscaping is hurting these days....That's why I think he accepting my offer!!!

Without added power that should get another 100-150k miles

Thank you for the reply!

But, are there any little quirks or odd things about this year that will end up Nickel and Diming me/her to death????

Other than having J. Garmon do his EFI tuning for mileage (he offered when I called him today) and not much extra power, It should stay stock......

What about the Allison tranny?? Are the 5sp Ally's holding up under stock power to the 250K mark........

Sorry to be a pest, but this guys is gonna expect the cash soon....Gotta get all the info I can...FAST!!

Man, that sure seems like a hell of a buy there. You really don't have any worries. If the recall on the injectors has been done you could check with GM against the VIN and see if it still shows up. GM will notify you of any recalls buy mail even if your not the original owner. They are cool like that. Most if any injector problems happened at very low miles so I'd say your good to go. Nice find.

Man, that sure seems like a hell of a buy there. You really don't have any worries. If the recall on the injectors has been done you could check with GM against the VIN and see if it still shows up. GM will notify you of any recalls buy mail even if your not the original owner. They are cool like that. Most if any injector problems happened at very low miles so I'd say your good to go. Nice find.

Great Idea! thanks!

I'll check with my cousin...He runs a Dealership about 2 hrs away....See if I can get them replaced under recall even if they haven't been done!!!

Keep'm comin.........Gotta cram all this in before I shell out the cash for it!!!

Injectors are your only real issue with that engine. I have a highly modded LB7, and have been through every problem imaginable. You need to check the transfer case for pump rub though. Look on the passenger side of the case for caked up fluid/dust. If you can clean it off, look for a pin hole. If there's one there, I'd be concerned about the t-case.

And injector problems do not just happen at low miles. They happen at any and all miles. Mine just went at 91k miles. There are several guys with dmax's that have had their injectors replaced twice under warranty.

That price is a steal. I would go for it.

Injectors are your only real issue with that engine. I have a highly modded LB7, and have been through every problem imaginable. You need to check the transfer case for pump rub though. Look on the passenger side of the case for caked up fluid/dust. If you can clean it off, look for a pin hole. If there's one there, I'd be concerned about the t-case.

And injector problems do not just happen at low miles. They happen at any and all miles. Mine just went at 91k miles. There are several guys with dmax's that have had their injectors replaced twice under warranty.

That price is a steal. I would go for it.

Thank you very much for the T-case thing....I'll check that....

Will GM replace the injectors if the truck is running fine?? Or do they wait until if acts up??? What are the semtems????

Thank you very much for the T-case thing....I'll check that....

Will GM replace the injectors if the truck is running fine?? Or do they wait until if acts up??? What are the semtems????

Mine was running fine. I have know the tech at Chevy here for years and got him to do a balance test. If they don't balance well, GM will cover it for 175k i think... mine was at 125 or so.

My buddies 02 idled a little funny when cold and had a few hard starts... he took it in and they replaced 'em...

Mine was running fine. I have know the tech at Chevy here for years and got him to do a balance test. If they don't balance well, GM will cover it for 175k i think... mine was at 125 or so.

My buddies 02 idled a little funny when cold and had a few hard starts... he took it in and they replaced 'em...

Thanks

My cousin runs a chevy dealer...Maybe I can get him to replaced them under warranty just to feel better and get it done before going over the mileage..

Gonna have Jeff Garmon look at it for me on Mon. just before make the deal....

Our '01 Duramax that Guy and I just purchased for our race truck has over 250K and runs great including the Allison.

Our '01 Duramax that Guy and I just purchased for our race truck has over 250K and runs great including the Allison.

WOW!! That is awesome!

Well that makes me feels better....I need to feel comfortable having my Girlfriend driving this and not have her get stranded..

Thanks again!!

I think you'll be fine David. My 03' has 110K on it. I race and Pull with it, and to be honest I wouldn't be afraid, except the fuel price, to hook to a big load and head out west and back.

I like My D-max motor/Allison Combo.

I think you'll be fine David. My 03' has 110K on it. I race and Pull with it, and to be honest I wouldn't be afraid, except the fuel price, to hook to a big load and head out west and back.

I like My D-max motor/Allison Combo.

Thank you sir!!!

All these reply's seem positive!! If Jeff gives it the OK on Monday, I'll think I'm gonna snatch it up!!!

Any other ideas you guys have between now and Monday, Please keep them coming!!

Thanks again!!

Bad fuel mileage, fuel in the oil, black smoke at idle, white smoke in acceleration, bad balance rates. There are a ton of different symptoms. As long as you're under 200k and 7 years, you are pretty much covered.

Back