main studs in a 96 14mm?

A good way to tell is by looking at the oil drains, if there is just one up front your factory charger is draining into its a 14mm if there is a second drain boss toward the back its 12mm mains.

what about a 93? i have a 93 shortblock that is going to get built and swapped in.

Garrett

Should be 88-96 have 14mm mains, like I said look for the single oil drain on the block.

i was thinkin i read somethin but 97.5 and up are 12mm and before that is 14mm

well, i know both my 94 and 93 have single oil drains. i guess if the head bolt is too small then theyre a 14mm?

Garrett

glad to hear that. it would have sucked if i ordered 12mm main studs and they were too small.

Garrett

This might be the stupidest question, but can you install a girdle and studs while the engine is still in the truck? Somehow this totally slipped my mind when I put my engine back together and I'm going to need to take the oil pan off to pop a few slugs out anyway.

i think i remember there being enough room under there when you lift the motor a little get the pan out probably wont be fun torquing them all down though.

Garrett

maybe another stupid question......but i have a 97 with a single oil drain, anyone know if it would have 14mm or 12mm?

When they went to S.T.O.R.M blocks..

"The main bearing bolts have been revised from M14 to M12. This revision provides additional material in the block for added strength. The M14 main bearing bolts had a reduced shank diameter, so the strength of the bolts themselves is not being compromised. "

This might be the stupidest question, but can you install a girdle and studs while the engine is still in the truck?

You would have to pull all the main bolts out and the crank stay put, wont happen

The other side of that is if you could it would not be advisable. When installing studs and a girdle the mains should be line honed with the girdle and studs in place and torqued to spec.

maybe another stupid question......but i have a 97 with a single oil drain, anyone know if it would have 14mm or 12mm?

Look at the build date on the door 11/96 maybe ???

ya know that was something I thought was pretty stupid was the reduced diameter main bolts, how the head of the main bolt is huge but uses a skinny shank down to the 14mm threads?

i was talkin' with a good buddy of mine who rebuilds a lot of engines at his job as a CAT mechanic, none of their bolts for the rods, head or mains are replaced during complete rebuilds. Why would Cummins use bolts that "should" be replaced everytime?

This might be the stupidest question, but can you install a girdle and studs while the engine is still in the truck? Somehow this totally slipped my mind when I put my engine back together and I'm going to need to take the oil pan off to pop a few slugs out anyway.

The line bore should be check with the studs and girdle plate installed...engine blocks can do strange things when you add parts like this.

Because they are torque yield.

Not allways the case, In the Engine Development lab at Volvo/Mack Mains,Rods and Head bolts are torque to yield but they all can be reused. We punch a mark on the head of the bolt for every time it gets torqued. Each one has a diferent number of times it can be re torqued.

The bolts for the CAT engines are TTY also but they reuse them also, which makes me wonder how necassary is it actually in our trucks?

Back