manual transmission -only have 1st and 2nd

02dirtymax

I've got a friend with a 1st gen Cummins with a manual transmission. The truck will only drive in 1st and 2nd, I guess it doesn't do anything in 3rd or 4th. I haven't messed with the truck in person so that is going off what she told me. Any idea what to look at or what else I need to find out for somebody to help me out?

top cover has the shift rails in it. they have been known for the roll pin
on the 3-4 rail to work out and loose 3-4 shift

the old GetRag trans is tough without a doubt

just 2 cents

Well I've got the transmission and I checked it out some today. The shifter wouldn't go into 3rd and 4th at all, 5th and Reverse worked but reverse went too far and then everything was jammed up I took the top cover off and nothing jumped out at me as looking bent or overly worn. I popped the shifter out and got everything lined back up. I don't know what you call them, but where the end of the shift lever is there are things shaped like [ and ] for 1-2 and 5-R There are buttons inside them that depress and the 5-R one seems to work fine but the 1-2 button is stuck in there and won't pop out like the oher one. I got everything lined back up and put the top cover back one, I tried 3rd and 4th and spun the input and it spun the output just fine. 5th and Reverse worked also, 1st and 2nd were hard to get into, it worked in 1st then I had a hard time getting it out, it then jammed in 2nd and everything was locked up again. Pulled the top cover and the two [ ] shaped things weren't lined up again. Sorry for the book, just trying to make it clear. I've got some pictures of the shifter tip and stuff I'll hopefully get on the computer sooner or later. It looks like pictures of good ones I have seen.

I've got a good nv4500 and all the miscellaneousstuff to put it in if u'd b interested in it for that 1st gen...

That is what i would do, but she just wants to get the truck back on the road as cheap as possible.