Manual VB 47re issues

JAyers93

C15H28
Looking for help trouble shooting my 47re. I built it a couple years ago and have put maybe 5k miles on it since, goerend kit (billet servo, kickdown lever, etc), billet shafts, their converter, and their manual vb. Every thing has always worked fine with the exception of occasionally eratically kicking in and out of overdrive after hard acceleration (very seldom, couldnt make it repeat itself most of the time). Just did a fluid/filter change and adjusted both bands last week. I did change to jd hyguard with a two quarts of atf+4 instead of 100% atf+4. Slightly overfilled it by a quart or so.

Have driven approx 100 miles since with no issues. Put some hard ~1/8 mile passes on it today and parked it, again no issues. Went to take it to dinner (30min later), noticed a slight delay going into second, third was fine, od was fine, locked up the converter and it went nuts (eratically locking the converter for a sec then kick it back out and shift down to third on its own). Tried overdrive and lock up again with the same result. While limping back to the house it was jumping in and out of third. Checked fluid level and made sure nothing on my shifter has moved. Any other insight or ideas before I tear into this thing would be appreciated!

Last edited:
Bad connection at the trans. Causing intermittent connection to O/D and lockup solenoids perhaps?

Unplugged it and cleaned it up a bit, was covered in atf. Anyways no issues as of this morning. I'm thinking something within the valve body is getting submerged that shouldn't be when the fluid gets on the warm side. It's still a touch overfull so ill drain alil fluid out and try again. Thanks stubz

Check your grounds. Try temporarily running a wire from the engine to the body of the truck and see it it helps.