Marine pistons/cam/inj question

ccoxva

Loafer
Getting ready to build the engine from the previous melted piston post. Thinking about going back with a full marine setup with 370's. Kinda wondering what would be the pros and cons of this setup?? Also has anyone dynoed a marine engine set up about like this????? There is prob some post asking the same thing but I never have luck with the search on here. Thanks for any info.

would prob. dyno 370 hp... lol... no with sum pump work and a good turbo i would say 500 wouldnt be that hard. low comp ratio. and the injectors would match the bowl. i dont no were you could find big injectors that spray at 155* tho

i dont no were you could find big injectors that spray at 155* tho

it's pretty easy considering alot of performance injectors are based off of a marine tip...

P.S. I don't think you would have the slightest problem running regular 370's and getting over 500 rwhp

Does anybody know if the pistons are more durable?? Thanks for the replys thats what I was hoping for.:snoop:

The 370 marine pistons are pretty tough, But I would not use a 370 marine cam.

So there is a diff in the 370 marine cam and the reg marine cam???

The only thing that bothers me is the lower compression. I'm not sure where you live, but when it gets cold out, motors with lower compression and higher timing are a b!tch to start.

I live in Va but I think it puts it at 15:1. Seems like that should be ok around here starting.. Cant be worse than my lil diesel vw.

Wonder if they run pretty cool egt's since everything would be matched up??

What are you calling a regular marine cam? Just use the stock Dodge 12v cam or an aftermarket one.

I had 370's in my former engine which is currently in pieces. I was talking with Van Haisley the other day and he was recommending I stick with my 370 injectors and go with the industrial piston. We talked for quite some time on the topic of spray patterns and bowl shapes, and he was very confident the industrial piston and 370 injector would be a very good combination. I don't remember all the high points, but one of the positives was the lowered ring gland which would allow us to fly cut the pistons for valve clearance.

Im kinda afraid of trying it because not many people talk like theyve tried it?? Hate to spend the money and it be dissapointing power/egt/fuel milage and all that kinda stuff.

The 370 marine pistons are pretty tough, But I would not use a 370 marine cam.

Agreed dont used the Cam. Marine engines are designed to make power at higher rpms continuousley. It will hurt performance in a street truck.

So all in all would be better off just goin with the regular pistons and a cam like the quick spool and some 5x14's??

When i get a chance to rebuild mine ill be using the marine pistons just bc of the bigger bowl. That will allow u to run higher timing without spraying out of the bowl or u could run a wider spray pattern that the stock 145* degree pattern. A wider pattern will produce more power simply bc it will spread the fuel out more so air can get to it easier. Just my $.02

Finally, talked to piers and tidewater engines today, both said I would be crazy since im starting from scratch to go with the marine setup. Piers said the key to running the marine cam is to get them or someone to do a custom grind for a truck to get the power range down to a good street setup.

Back