Max. EGT's

87rx7

My current DD is a 01' 2500 turbo diesel. I recently picked up an Edge Comp for it, and suprisingly enough, when I drive real conservativly on the 60hp setting I can pick up 5 MPG. I have 3:55 rear gears and with the 5 MPG increase I now get a whopping 25 MPG!! Now to my question, what kind of EGT's should I be looking at MAX before I would start damaging parts? I am going to install the probe post turbine. If you arn't familiar with the Comp, it is a 5 setting commander 60hp-120hp with 5 individual settings within each power level. It is a pretty neat setup and a very easy install. Other mods include a 3" turboback, peak/hold boost gauge, peak/hold EGT gauge (though not installed yet), and a K&N intake. The truck doesnt puff any black smoke on any setting, or on start up or anything, is this unusual...

Last edited:
Why do you want it post turbine??? Around 1000 deg F is about max for long durations.

Post turbine so I dont need to remove the turbo to drill and tap into the exhaust manifold for EGT install, thus sending metal chips through the turbine.

you don't have to, I just run a vaccum when I drill and suck it out good when you are done. The little bit that is left won't hurt anything. I run 1500+ pre-turbo.

With my drag comp on 5x5 the truck smokes decent. Each setting on the box has 5 other adjustable settings for smoke control. If its turned down you wont smoke. What setting are you on? My truck doesnt get anywhere near that good of fuel mileage.

What's a Comp Commander lol? Did you tap the wire? Put your probe pre turbine and put some Vaseline on your drill bit and just clean it off before you go all the way through. Then just vacuum as stated above. Anything left won't hurt a thing.

You could always neck down your vacume hose down to a drinking straw, just have to use alot of tape.

have someone hold a vacuum while you drill then use a pencil magnet to stick down into the manifold to get out the excess shavings. Have done a few with no problems.

Lavon

I have seen 1600*+ more times then I care to remember pre turbo but that isn't necassarily good lol. Using a pencil magnet is all you have to do, while you are drilling the hole just blow the shaving out of the way every couple seconds before you break through. If you get into a pickle you can just put a shop wrag over the end of a straw and suck out shavings and imbetween each breath pinch the straw closed and then dump the shavings out. lol

What they have said on installing the probe, you want it pre turbo, not post.

Are you checking your mileage by hand? Or going off of the overhead display?? Once you modify the truck you can pretty much throw that mileage reading out of the window.

Have you tapped the pump wire?? It sounds like you haven't with the lack of black smoke.

As for the EGT's, 1250* max continuous measured pre turbo as per Cummins.

Just start your truck and drill and tap the manifold with it running....it'll blow all the chips and shavings out. Wear some glasses though I got chit in my eye doing that on my last truck.

I will go ahead and install it pre-turbo. How much smoke should the truck be puffing. Yes, I did tap into the pump wire but it was with the cheap wire tap that came with the kit. For fuel mileage, yes it has been done out by hand. I dont really trust the overhead display. If I drive like a grandpa I get great mileage ( roughly 25mpg on the 1X2 setting), but in the real world this doesnt happen often. Does somebody have a picture of what kind of smoke I should be pouring out?

Billysgoat said:
What they have said on installing the probe, you want it pre turbo, not post.

Are you checking your mileage by hand? Or going off of the overhead display?? Once you modify the truck you can pretty much throw that mileage reading out of the window.

Have you tapped the pump wire?? It sounds like you haven't with the lack of black smoke.

As for the EGT's, 1250* max continuous measured pre turbo as per Cummins.

Mike G said:
You could always neck down your vacume hose down to a drinking straw, just have to use alot of tape.

That sounds like a very good adapter alot of tape:hehe:

Update....I just went out to the truck and re-checked that damn connecter on the pump. Turns out, I dont think the connecter went all of the way through the insulation on the wire. I made sure it had a decent connection, started it back up and now on 1x5 and on up she does smoke!! OH YEAH, WOOT!

87rx7 said:
Update....I just went out to the truck and re-checked that damn connecter on the pump. Turns out, I dont think the connecter went all of the way through the insulation on the wire. I made sure it had a decent connection, started it back up and now on 1x5 and on up she does smoke!! OH YEAH, WOOT!

Told ya :D :shake: LOL LOL

The Comp box is only really active on level one with an UN tapped wire, once it's tapped though the fuel will flow and the smoke will roll :evil

For max mileage try running some of the higher settings with some fuel pulled back, buddy of mine claimed 4x1 gave him the best mileage, for me it was always 2x3 or 3x3.

I tell ya man, it is a world of difference on level 5x now. She burps smoke and is gone! I will have to start playing around a little bit more with the settings now for fuel mileage.

Billysgoat said:
Told ya :D :shake: LOL LOL

The Comp box is only really active on level one with an UN tapped wire, once it's tapped though the fuel will flow and the smoke will roll :evil

For max mileage try running some of the higher settings with some fuel pulled back, buddy of mine claimed 4x1 gave him the best mileage, for me it was always 2x3 or 3x3.

Overhead was reading anywhere between ~20-27 for short bursts on the highway, didnt matter it the speed limit was 55mph or 65mph, it was still reading about the same. Plus many of the miles I put on are highway. I would estimate 90% of my driving is highway. Also, it is not very hilly in the good ol' state of WI.