MBRP 4in or 5in?

cgnav

Morning fella's.
I am looking to get an exhaust for my 6.0. I think that i have myself talked into the 5in cat back for now, with the cat delete portion coming a little later.
My ? is, is there much of a difference between the 5in, and the 4in. when it comes to performance, and sound. i am looking for a nice deep throaty sound, but not annoyingly loud at cruiseing speeds.
Eventually have a tunner, cold air intake, and the exhaust. nothing crazy. so in your opinion do i need the 5 or would the 4 do me just fine. thanks for any info. later.

just do a turbo back 4". its more than enough and probably similiar in price to a cat-back 5inch. I would go with at least 409SS but, im sure Aluminized would be fine if there isnt much salt on the roads where you are.

i was always told like nummit that over 500 is 4 inch..... wouldnt waste my time with a catback.... go turbo back... i did mine in my driveway. fyi i have a 4 inch mbrp aluminixzed turbo back w/ cat delete. sounds better with cat delete but stilll isnt loud enough for me

Without a cat or muffler it's boarderline blatty. With MBRP you can delete the cat or muffler or both. You will find a sound you like

I would to the 4" but I would not do it turbo back just do the cat back the turbo back in the powerstrokes take away a lot of that quick throttle respond. You are not going all out with injectors so just do a 4" cat back.

fordtk12 said:
the turbo back in the powerstrokes take away a lot of that quick throttle respond.
Explain please.
You're wrong...but I'd like to hear your theory anyway.

im in the process of taking off my muffler..... i have all the bolts off and the after muffler piece taken off. jwhich will. just waiting for it to fall off which will never happen because its on there so much. but mbrp is a good bang for the buck

fordtk12: thanks for that info, that is the stuff i am looking for. I want good lowend to midrange. I am really not looking for WOT all the time, and im not looking toon the pejesus out of her. thanks again fellas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtk12
the turbo back in the powerstrokes take away a lot that quick throttle respond.

Explain please.
You're wrong...but I'd like to hear your theory anyway.

I went from a staight pipe to a 4" turbo back I did I lost that quick snap, but I need the bigger exhasut due to putting in bigger injectors so I didn't care.
Then I was looking for an exhaust for my dad's 02 dodge I found a guy that make them very cheap. If I can find his side I will post it on here later. Anyway I told him I would like a so called cat back when I placed the order on the web site. He call me and asked if I was sure I didn't want a turbo back. I told him no and explained what had happened to me in my powerstroke. He said "OH YEAH IN THOSE POWERSTROKE IT WILL TAKE THAT AWAY FROM YOU. FOR OUR POWERSTROKE EXHAUST WE DONT MAKE THE 4" DOWNPIPE." I think they said they use 3 1/2 but I am finding out for ya.

I am not saying it takes power away from ya but it takes away that really quick response when you just lightly tap on the throttle.

You must have missed my post...
If you want the fastest spool-up and lowest EGT's...go with a 4" turbo back system with a 3.5" downpipe.
Something like MBRP will allow you to re-install your cat should you need it in for warranty work.

A cat back system will do virtually nothing for you...a bit lower EGT's and a very minor power increase. A waste of money IMHO

Last edited:
fordtk12 said:
I went from a staight pipe to a 4" turbo back I did I lost that quick snap, but I need the bigger exhasut due to putting in bigger injectors so I didn't care.
Then I was looking for an exhaust for my dad's 02 dodge I found a guy that make them very cheap. If I can find his side I will post it on here later. Anyway I told him I would like a so called cat back when I placed the order on the web site. He call me and asked if I was sure I didn't want a turbo back. I told him no and explained what had happened to me in my powerstroke. He said "OH YEAH IN THOSE POWERSTROKE IT WILL TAKE THAT AWAY FROM YOU. FOR OUR POWERSTROKE EXHAUST WE DONT MAKE THE 4" DOWNPIPE." I think they said they use 3 1/2 but I am finding out for ya.

I am not saying it takes power away from ya but it takes away that really quick response when you just lightly tap on the throttle.

See...if you would have specified a 4" downpipe...I would have agreed with you...with a 3.5" DP it'll be better than stock.
You have to be specific around here....little differences are the difference between being right or wrong.

LOW END TO MID RANGE POWER you would want the 4" It will give you a little more back pressure. When you really open up an exhaust big it helps out more on the high end.
Even with my dad's dodge when I put on the 4" turbo back I could tell it lost just a little of the low end because before when you put it in drive with the stock exhaust on a flat drive it would start to move on its own without touching the throttle at all. Now with the 4" turbo back it hardly moves without pushing on throttle. This is noticed in the same spot with each exhaust { where my dad parks it in the garage and it has to go all but the exact same spot because there isnt much room in the garge for it} so it is not like I am talking about it not moving and moving when put in gear on two different surfaces

If you want the fastest spool-up and lowest EGT's...go with a 4" turbo back system with a 3.5" downpipe.
Something like MBRP will allow you to re-install your cat should you need it in for warranty work.

A cat back system will do virtually nothing for you...a bit lower EGT's and a very minor power increase. A waste of money IMHO

Yes I agree with this

sorry when I said 4" turbo back that is meaning the Down pipe to me cuz the down pipe comes off the turbo
Every where that I said turbo back that means the down pipe just so everyone knows now.

Back