mercedes om314

bigfranks84

I have an old om314 that I'm using in my Jeep fc project. Thought id try in this section to see if any one knows if this are capable of handling boost in stock form and what i would need to do to the injection pump? I.don't need crazy power but it be nice if i could get about 15psi out so or of it. Get over the stock 80hp be nice to have 120 but i think that's probably pushing it without internal miss. But i don't know what these can take stock. I just knowthat they last forever. Any input would be awesome.

As best I remember, those engines were not that happy with much boost. Most of the older NA diesels lack the piston cooling jets and lowered compression to be happy with a turbo turned up to much. The older Nissan SD series diesels were very similar, about 7-10psi was about all they would put to them. The engine itself is usually strong enough to take more, but heat buildup is the killer.

As best I remember, those engines were not that happy with much boost. Most of the older NA diesels lack the piston cooling jets and lowered compression to be happy with a turbo turned up to much. The older Nissan SD series diesels were very similar, about 7-10psi was about all they would put to them. The engine itself is usually strong enough to take more, but heat buildup is the killer.

ok thats kind of what i was figuring would be a realistic boost number. I had read tormentors thread on how to modify the injection pump on these things. I'm new to this whole diesel thing and I'm trying to make sure I understand it right. The stock pump is capable of use for a turbo and I just need to basically turn the pump up?

This is the thread i read
Injection Pump fuel adjustment for Mercedes Diesels, Bosch M and RW governors - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

Not knowing what exact pump you have, I can still say yes. You can turn any injection pump up to supply more fuel, but some pumps have a means of adding fuel relative to boost. The good thing about a turbo and a non regulated pump is they will match each other for the most part. Unlike a gas engine it is very difficult to get a diesel to run lean. Add to much fuel and air and you can get to much heat, but normally not a lean condition.

Size the turbo for quick spool, and regulate it to keep the boost under 10psi. You should be OK with that, and just adding a turbo will make a nice difference.

OM314 is the 4 cylinder version of the OM352. No, they cannot handle much boost unless they were designed from the factory as a turbo engine (OM314A).
Turbo version have piston cooling, much stronger crankshaft and sodium filled exhaust valves.

They last forever because they are low stress.
If you want 120hp reliably, sell your 3.8L OM314 and buy a 3.9L 4BT.

Attachments

• OM314A.jpg
    OM314A.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 0
OM314 is the 4 cylinder version of the OM352. No, they cannot handle much boost unless they were designed from the factory as a turbo engine (OM314A).
Turbo version have piston cooling, much stronger crankshaft and sodium filled exhaust valves.

They last forever because they are low stress.
If you want 120hp reliably, sell your 3.8L OM314 and buy a 3.9L 4BT.

So is 7 to 10psi ok? If it is I'm going look for something like a hx30

If you keep an eye on your EGTs it should be okay. Just don't expect it to last for years and years like that.

Hi,

I own a 608 van and purchased a motor for a spare some time ago that had been turbo'd.
I have the turbo components for sale and am asking $450. If you still are thinking of going ahead w/ the project, I imagine you could save a lot just on the fabrication end.
If you'd like more info, just email.
Thanks
Jeff
jeffvanhousen@gmail.com

http://tinyurl.com/p6xhook

Back