milage questions

idacal

my 06 gets awful fuel milage I get 13.4 if I keep it below 60 and dont tow anything, hook on to a 16000 lbs flatbed trailer im down around 6 and 7 mpg I was wondering if anyone has tried the flux 1 or the flux .75 and if there is a good improvement in the mileage I tried everything I can think of besides injectors, dealer was no help I tried searching and could find any information thanks for any advice.

Auto or 6 speed......gears....tires and what size.... Give more info

i have a 06 also, and thought i could get better fuel milage.
my truck has 33,000 on it (auto with work).
i have an AFE stage 2 intake
MBRP 4'', (no cat).
and the new BULLY DOG PMT.
3.73, and milage killer 37'' tires

right now, with winterized fuel. I'm getting around 400-410 miles to a tank.
(34 gal---figure 30 at a time)

i was thinking i do better if i changed to 410's.
don't think i have to though... i only pull 6,000max

idacal- sounds like you've got 4'10's. where is your tach @ 70 mph?
what do you use for additive if any??

I think it's goofy OEM programming. The 03, 04 and 05 trucks have done very well in the MPG department. It is mainly the 06' trucks that have a problem. I had two 3500 4x4 Duallys, one got 10 MPG and the other got 11 MPG. 10% better mileage is GREAT from @ 10 MPG but it's pitiful for these sized trucks. You can get 14MPG out of an 8 liter I-6 Diesel in a 15,000 lb truck.....all day long. Something doesn't add up.

My buddy has an 07srw w/ the 6speed and it turns quite a bit more rpms on the highway then my auto. Mine only gets about 14mpg and its also stock besides a Smarty. Ive only got 16k on it but still my old smokey ass 12V gets better then that, so did my 6.0 when it was mostly stock. I really expected right around 20mpg with this truck.

Thats why I was asking about the small injectors if the better efficiency would help? with the amount of fuel I burn every month any more efficiency is money in my pocket at the end of the year

Personally I would get an intake and exhaust 1st. They should help a lil by themselves and would think even more once you get different sticks.

I also wonder if something like a phat shaft 62 would get any better mileage then the stock charger w/ a Smarty and small sticks. Would it be anymore effecient when just cruising down the highway @ 2k rpms? Although thats spending a ton of money for mileage reasons.

Last edited:
i would think that exhaust / intake would let it breathe a whole lot better.
if you through a programer at it without doing those two your going to have a hard time keeping your egt's down. (all of these will make your mpg go up)

also i get as much as 40 moore miles to a tank just by adding any additive (even a qt of 2-stroke oil)

in my 07 with the 5.9 i get 12-15 in the city and 18-21 highway and mine is bone stock.

I was always told that the intake really didn't do a hell of a lot on a stock 3rd gen, or even slightly modified. On my Dad's 05 6 speed I went straight for the Smarty and it gained him a few mpg plus lowered his EGT's a little, I'm sure similar setups could get the same.. haven't tried injectors in it though.

I had a Smarty and Several EDGE programs. (beta-testing EDGE stuff) For a working truck the EDGE was 100% better than the Smarty and safer to boot. The EDGE could pick up MPG to 14 but it really shined while towing. Heavy pulls went from 7MPG to almost 10MPG. .......Still, there must be something in the OEM programming or build that isn't right. Why would one truck, as posted above, get 20MPG while another only got 14? There should be no need to change parts. Something isn't right and it leeds back to DC, Quality control?

Alot of people base their mileage off the overhead computer which has never been right I'm my truck.... When it was stock it was about 2mpg off and with the smarty about 3-4 off

That could explain one truck doing 20 and another doing 15.... Somepeople had calculate others use the overhead comp

True, most folks don't know how a TPS and MAF coincide in an algorithm to "show" the MPG. Let alone the fact that a "flash" (Smarty ect) changes the fuel parameters but not the algorithm hence, goofty inflated overhead MPG.

my overhead is about 2 mpg off heck it has said i was getting 32 one day always hand calculate it.

How do they build a mileage injector compared to standard injectors? Would adding a pressure box give a similar end result?

I put on an atc fiberglas lid a few months back and didnt notice a mpg gain but we havent traveled with it either so who knows. My torque converter is toast from the Smarty so I cant run it over sw5 or it starts shaking the truck after lockup. Maybe once i get a tc, vb, intake and exhaust plus summer blend things will go up a few mpg's.