Mild 12v Mod Suggestions

GhostRider7

Hey guys, I apologize in advance because I'm not real knowedable when it comes to 12v's. I've owened and modified both a 24v and a CR but have no experience with 12v's

Ok I have a buddy with a 96 auto, long bed, extended cab w/ 120k. The only things that he has done are an exhaust and intake. He's looking for a nice daily driver in the 450-500hp range and he would like to retain the ability to occasionally haul a 5k tractor around. What are some mods that he could start out with to put him on the right path?

On a side note, what are the limits of the stock turbo?

Thanks
Jason

I think the best place to start is with a good set of injectors; small ones nothing to big. Then a little bigger turbo or a set of twins. Then i would make some adjustments on your fuel pump. DVs, Fuel plate, Timing. Also i would get a set of GOV -springs Then i would also get a towing cam. That should get u around 400-500 HP. Don't forget to upgrade your fuel supply ,with a good pump. Remember u need over 40 PSI of fuel pressure to make it run good.

I wouldn't do DVs for 450-500, especially on a tow rig.

5x12s, 62 turbo would be a nice setup, gonna need a tranny. I'm assuming you know, not sure he did.

I have an idea or two.

In the real world that auto needs attention before the 500 hp can be a reality.

Thanks for the input guys! After doing some more talking to him, he seems to want to keep his stock turbo now. Since that's the case, what are some good mods to give it a little more pep? This is what I was thinking.... 3 or 4k gsk, mild fuel plate (not sure what size), boost elbow, guages, KDP kit, I'm not real sure about changing the timing. I informed him about the the tranny and how it will be his biggest expense and how you have to pay to play:hehe:

I'm glad you have some good ideas Snedge because I already told him about you and you'll be doing all his work!!! I also told him to give you a call and see if you had any deals for him If he bought everything from you and had you install it. :Cheer:

Right now he's only in the brainstorming stage because he's considering buying another house and if the house deal falls through then he's gonna start modifying his truck.

I'm kinda bored today. So that works out good for you:D

Elbow isn't "necessary" but would be nice.

Stock turbo will handle it fine. Tranny, maybe not. I'd put a shift kit or VB in it. Although I don't know much about autos...

I'd do a valve body and a converter. If it doesn't like that you can always get some new clutches in it as well.

Grind your own plate to a 100 profile and move it full forward. Loosen the starwheel in the afc housing 2-4 turns depending on how much pre boost fuel he wants. Definately throw in a boost elbow to get more air into the equation. 35 psi is about all the stock turbo is good for. These mods alone will slip a stock tranny. Next step is a 4k gsk, dont waste your time on a 3k. You can do all these mods on a stock tranny if your friend uses discretion on the skinny pedal.

I'm kinda bored today. So that works out good for you:D

Elbow isn't "necessary" but would be nice.

Stock turbo will handle it fine. Tranny, maybe not. I'd put a shift kit or VB in it. Although I don't know much about autos...

It works out very good for me!!

Here's a quetion about the boost elbow. I read a descrption about it on thoroughbred diesels website and they said " The installation of the brass elbow permits turbo boost pressures of greater than 20 psi without the waste gate opening". Does this mean that the turbo will only build a little over 20psi? Or does this boost elbows act the same as a boost fooler on the newer trucks and allow the turbo to build as must boost as his fueling will allow? Also I think I read somewhere that these turbos on the 12v don't like seeing anything over 35psi....is this correct?

Works like a boost fooler. And anything over about 35 on a HX35 is just hot air. And very hard on the turbo.

I'm saying 3k, because it won't fuel quite as hard down low, and he's not reving very high with a stock tranny anyway. Trying to help him not blow it on the test drive:D

And playing with the starwheel is not the same thing as modding an AFC. And in terms of drivability modding and setting up my AFC is one of the the best things I've done to my truck.

Thanks for chiming in on the auto stuff Bryce!

I'd do a valve body and a converter. If it doesn't like that you can always get some new clutches in it as well.

Grind your own plate to a 100 profile and move it full forward. Loosen the starwheel in the afc housing 2-4 turns depending on how much pre boost fuel he wants. Definately throw in a boost elbow to get more air into the equation. 35 psi is about all the stock turbo is good for. These mods alone will slip a stock tranny. Next step is a 4k gsk, dont waste your time on a 3k. You can do all these mods on a stock tranny if your friend uses discretion on the skinny pedal.

Thanks for the reply guys, I some how missed you posts originally:doh:
Works like a boost fooler. And anything over about 35 on a HX35 is just hot air. And very hard on the turbo.

I'm saying 3k, because it won't fuel quite as hard down low, and he's not reving very high with a stock tranny anyway. Trying to help him not blow it on the test drive:D

And playing with the starwheel is not the same thing as modding an AFC. And in terms of drivability modding and setting up my AFC is one of the the best things I've done to my truck.
Thanks for chiming in on the auto stuff Bryce!

I appreciate all your help, I'll pass the word on to him. I definitely don't want him to blow his tranny on the test ride!!!! I told him that it will eventually need upgraded and to not drive like an idiot until then. The guy I'm talking about is 48yrs old so he not some young kid who's gonna be out doing burnouts every day. Hell he bought he truck new and it has NEVER been driven in the snow and for that matter it's only been driven in the rain a hand full of times

Well in that case the tranny should last a while.

And it sounds like 3k is all he'd ever want.

He may be surprised what just a few simple mods will do and not even want any more.

Well in that case the tranny should last a while.

And it sounds like 3k is all he'd ever want.

He may be surprised what just a few simple mods will do and not even want any more.

Sounds good man I'll let him know. Thanks again for all your help:Cheer:

Worked on a 12V the other day and for the power mods I did 4K's, shaved the stock plate just till it was flat (not at zero) and set 3/4 forward, AFC mods and timing and was actually surprised how well it ran, stock tranny with a shift kit but it should last for a while.

Jim

I for got to say on my last post that he needs to do a head gasket first thing.And put a set of studs in it! Then a Trans. But he better figure out what he can spend on it first.

I have been driving mine around for 3 years and 30000 miles with a 5k GSK, 5 x .014 injectors and no plate on the original stock head gasket with stock head bolts with no trouble. Had plans to do some more mods but it is so fun to drive I have just left it alone. I would recommend a tranny build though. A transmission that holds the power makes all the difference with these trucks.

Back