MiniWheat - 2014 Ram 1500 Cummins Pro Street Build.

a818dd972de8ad3defd4669c27ae6202.jpg

Chris sitting down on the job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whew!! talk about weight transfer!!! That thing literally "jumped" off the line! Badass truck though! That thing is clean!

Not yet, she's heavy.

Are you going to get it to race weight before you spend much more time dialing in the suspension?

On another note, are you still happy with the spaghetti menders wiring?

Are you going to get it to race weight before you spend much more time dialing in the suspension?

On another note, are you still happy with the spaghetti menders wiring?

Unfortunately pulling weight off is either an expensive thing to do correctly or a quick way to make your truck ugly with missing body parts and inconveniently placed hole saw scars :badidea:

Last time we scaled it, we're at 5070lbs with driver ready to race with a 66/34 weight bias. This puts me at 570lbs over weight, and I need to focus on taking it off the nose.

Places I know I'm heavy -

Front Wheels/Tires
Full Front Bumper Steel Intact
Steel Hood
Full Glass
Door Panels / Power Windows (keeping those!)
Electronic Power Steering - Currently unused but its bulky & looks heavy
I could go on...

What I decided to focus on at first was what I considered the best bang for the buck because it solves a few problems at once. My current front wheel setup is 65lbs/ea, this is only two pounds less than my slicks out back a piece. That means my front wheels/tires combined weight in at 130LBS.

I ordered a set of 17x4.5 Weld RT-S Series S-71 wheels (forged/black 5 spoke) that weigh in at 14lbs/ea on the wheels and the tires I got for them are Hoosier 27.5/4.5-17 Drag Fronts weighing in at 12lbs/ea. This puts my front wheel/tire combo at 52lbs, saving 78lbs of unsprung rotating mass AND solving the radial vs bias ply dilemma that everyone seems say is a major no no for some reason but can't back it up with any technical data.

Assuming I don't eat too many wings the night before, this should put me at least under the 5kLB mark. I haven't quite decided where I'll focus my next weight savings project at... maybe pull the front bumper off and see what all the structure behind it weighs and how it changes the weight bias vs pulling the steel hood off and sitting the CF hood I have from my old truck onto it to see what it does to the weight bias? All in due time...

http://weldwheels.com/shop/street-strip/rt-s-2014/rts-17-inch/17-in-s71-5x4-75.html

https://www.hoosiertire.com/pdfs/ProductBulletinDragFront314.pdf

a818dd972de8ad3defd4669c27ae6202.jpg

Chris sitting down on the job!

Thanks Ryan!!!:Cheer:

I just finished downloading my shots this morning and haven't had time to go through them yet... But I have high hopes!!! Stay tuned for an issue of Diesel World coming to the newsstand soon!

My Wife and I hit up the Jim Beam distillery tour on the way home! It was pretty cool and we bottled some Knob Creek single barrel to take home!!!:snoop:

Trans brake. Then If you watch the under truck shot the suspension slams on the bump stops pretty violently, lots of updates & changes to be made based off of what we learned yesterday!

A set of tuneable hydraulic bump stops like they use in off road racing may be something to look into over firm poly or rubber bump stops...

Thanks Ryan!!!:Cheer:

I just finished downloading my shots this morning and haven't had time to go through them yet... But I have high hopes!!! Stay tuned for an issue of Diesel World coming to the newsstand soon!

My Wife and I hit up the Jim Beam distillery tour on the way home! It was pretty cool and we bottled some Knob Creek single barrel to take home!!!:snoop:

It was fun hanging out with you this weekend man, shoulda came to dinner with us after the track! It's cool, I realized we smelled bad and you were probably tired of looking at us... :Cheer:

A set of tuneable hydraulic bump stops like they use in off road racing may be something to look into over firm poly or rubber bump stops...

I have a few sets of springs coming our way, we're going to try to do everything that needs done in the rear end on the shocks/springs, got to slow down that compression so it doesn't dead hook like it did!

On a side note, just got word from SunCoast, sounds like my intermediate shaft decided to weld itself to the OD support which should just be a clearance/lube issue that they're rectifying... All clutches & other hard parts were good to go! Sure wish I would have found that issue before hauling all the way to Indy so I could get more than one pass but...... growing pains I guess :bang

Rudys bound Thursday morning........... :tree:

It was fun hanging out with you this weekend man, shoulda came to dinner with us after the track! It's cool, I realized we smelled bad and you were probably tired of looking at us... :Cheer:

I have a few sets of springs coming our way, we're going to try to do everything that needs done in the rear end on the shocks/springs, got to slow down that compression so it doesn't dead hook like it did!

On a side note, just got word from SunCoast, sounds like my intermediate shaft decided to weld itself to the OD support which should just be a clearance/lube issue that they're rectifying... All clutches & other hard parts were good to go! Sure wish I would have found that issue before hauling all the way to Indy so I could get more than one pass but...... growing pains I guess :bang

Rudys bound Thursday morning........... :tree:

Thanks, we had fun too! We went our own way for dinner since it was our 25th dating anniversary weekend, nothing to do with you guys at all. Just wanted some us time!!!

Good to hear about the trans, bummer that it happened so far from home and only got one hit. But it was caught on camera so we're good to go for now!!! Looking forward to having that truck fill my viewfinder round after round this season!!!

Have a good time at Rudy's. Sorry we can't make this one, I'm scheduled to give the public talk (Bible Discourse) at the Kingdom Hall here in Dayton Sunday and wouldn't be able to do both...

Not sure, the guy who built the chassis was under it adjusting stuff, we went to go run again and found that the trans was bound up solid so that was the end of our day. We watched that go pro vid probably a dozen times at the track though and the consensus was that my rear springs were way too soft, new ones will be installed tomorrow & adjusted to a base line for Rudy's this weekend.

From all the article reading and talking with Afco it seemed like you want to run the lightest spring possible to hold the vehicle up. Shock controls the rate of extension and compression. The idea of a light spring is it makes the suspension more reactive than an overly stiff spring. Your thoughts?

I Agree

I'm no chassis guy but all you want the spring to do is hold the weight. The shock needs to do the work. With a 4 link you should also see extension at the shock on the launch. Looked like to me it was working pretty good. Just looked like it needed more power after the hit. Truck truly looks awesome! I love seeing a good working 2wd truck getting it done.

From all the article reading and talking with Afco it seemed like you want to run the lightest spring possible to hold the vehicle up. Shock controls the rate of extension and compression. The idea of a light spring is it makes the suspension more reactive than an overly stiff spring. Your thoughts?

I've heard that before, although the spring rate I have compresses to about half its unsprung weight just holding the static weight of the truck. I think we ended up a little heavier than was originally planned on when the first set of springs was ordered.

I'm no chassis guy but all you want the spring to do is hold the weight. The shock needs to do the work. With a 4 link you should also see extension at the shock on the launch. Looked like to me it was working pretty good. Just looked like it needed more power after the hit. Truck truly looks awesome! I love seeing a good working 2wd truck getting it done.

Thanks man! I'm no chassis guy either, not by a long shot, just letting the guy that built it do what he wants with it until it does what it needs to do. :Cheer:

I agree that the rear shock and spring calibration was far too soft, initially. Gotta remember that the weight of the whole truck transfers back there at the hit. Faster cars use stiffer rear suspension settings, and you have massive torque and weight to control. I also feel the 4 link may like a change in instant center, to promote the rearend being driven into the ground at the hit, instead of just collapsing. How much you can ask for without loosing the weight transfer will be the question. Also, the rear springs seem awfully short. Can you adjust the shock length at ride height to allow more shaft compression and maintain ride height? As well as have the spring stay under preload when the truck is raised off the ground? Maybe run a longer spring in the new rate?

I think you're pretty close, now. One change at a time, study results of said change. Then make another change. Love the truck!!

Back