MiniWheat - 2014 Ram 1500 Cummins Pro Street Build.

Just asked my chassis guy, we went 2" taller on springs as well as heavier spring rate, I also thought they were kinda short.

Unfortunately pulling weight off is either an expensive thing to do correctly or a quick way to make your truck ugly with missing body parts and inconveniently placed hole saw scars :badidea:

Last time we scaled it, we're at 5070lbs with driver ready to race with a 66/34 weight bias. This puts me at 570lbs over weight, and I need to focus on taking it off the nose.

Places I know I'm heavy -

Front Wheels/Tires
Full Front Bumper Steel Intact
Steel Hood
Full Glass
Door Panels / Power Windows (keeping those!)
Electronic Power Steering - Currently unused but its bulky & looks heavy
I could go on...

What I decided to focus on at first was what I considered the best bang for the buck because it solves a few problems at once. My current front wheel setup is 65lbs/ea, this is only two pounds less than my slicks out back a piece. That means my front wheels/tires combined weight in at 130LBS.

I ordered a set of 17x4.5 Weld RT-S Series S-71 wheels (forged/black 5 spoke) that weigh in at 14lbs/ea on the wheels and the tires I got for them are Hoosier 27.5/4.5-17 Drag Fronts weighing in at 12lbs/ea. This puts my front wheel/tire combo at 52lbs, saving 78lbs of unsprung rotating mass AND solving the radial vs bias ply dilemma that everyone seems say is a major no no for some reason but can't back it up with any technical data.

Assuming I don't eat too many wings the night before, this should put me at least under the 5kLB mark. I haven't quite decided where I'll focus my next weight savings project at... maybe pull the front bumper off and see what all the structure behind it weighs and how it changes the weight bias vs pulling the steel hood off and sitting the CF hood I have from my old truck onto it to see what it does to the weight bias? All in due time...

http://weldwheels.com/shop/street-strip/rt-s-2014/rts-17-inch/17-in-s71-5x4-75.html

https://www.hoosiertire.com/pdfs/ProductBulletinDragFront314.pdf

Saving 78 pounds up front on the wheels and tires is a big chunk.

You will save about the same replacing the front bumper structure.

There's a bunch of weight in the doors, but it's kind of cool to see those stay in place.

While you're in the front bumper the fog lights and brackets can go. Replace with some aluminum mesh for aesthetics. I wonder if there is a lighter option for mirrors, or just delete them all together.

While you're in the front bumper the fog lights and brackets can go. Replace with some aluminum mesh for aesthetics. I wonder if there is a lighter option for mirrors, or just delete them all together.

I have mirror deletes but I don't think they weight that much, I'll mess with it after Rudy's I guess.

Truck is ready to go into the trailer, we're pulling out of town tomorrow AM Rudy's bound........ hail mary!

:tree::rockwoot:

I have mirror deletes but I don't think they weight that much, I'll mess with it after Rudy's I guess.

Truck is ready to go into the trailer, we're pulling out of town tomorrow AM Rudy's bound........ hail mary!

Figure 6-7 lbs ea on the mirrors. It's not so much the weight, but the added drag. The aero forum guys see a decrease in drag comparable to adding a tonneau cover by removing them.

Good luck.

Mirror deletes? Are these a kit you can buy or something you made? If they were purchased, where did you get them from? Thank you!

Today sucked. Build a new truck they said, it'll be fun they said. ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Today sucked. Build a new truck they said, it'll be fun they said. ?

fill us in man. You can't expect to do what really hasn't been done before and not have issues somewhere.

Well, I realized my TC lockup isn't working, or has never worked, banging my head against the wall for not realizing that sooner.

The truck is getting considerably harder to stage, I have an undying suspicion that my manifold turbine is likely melted... Based off the fact that the turbine housing has turned white from heat. Thinking about throwing in the towel on the race tomorrow and heading to Fleece to make some adjustments, fix the trans again (have spare converter with me) and try to make Wednesday test n tune at Indy.

Very frustrating...

Well, I realized my TC lockup isn't working, or has never worked, banging my head against the wall for not realizing that sooner.

The truck is getting considerably harder to stage, I have an undying suspicion that my manifold turbine is likely melted... Based off the fact that the turbine housing has turned white from heat. Thinking about throwing in the towel on the race tomorrow and heading to Fleece to make some adjustments, fix the trans again (have spare converter with me) and try to make Wednesday test n tune at Indy.

Very frustrating...

That blows man! Killer build keep it up and shed some weight off her and send it straight!

Very frustrating...

you got this ... you know the immediate remedy. starts with makers and ends with mark .

Takes time and patience. Take it slow and thing will come together. Dont try to be a superstar. Be safe and learn the chassis and what it likes.

In other news, I fixed the broken wire on my Steering wheel that powered my line lock and trans brake buttons and I'm manually hard wiring lockup now... Hopefully I'll have lockup for a pass today if we can get one in with the rain.

Broken wires are often the CRUX of my lively hood and job satisfaction. Glad you got it traced down, hopefully things go smoothly for you today. Any news on the charger being toast?

Don't try and be a hero. Last thing you want to do is waste a couple chargers because one of them is messed up or send something through the new engine. Baby steps....

Back