Modified CP3's

kino_fab

KTPA Tech Official
Just wondering what all is on the market as far as Modified CP3's. I know Industrial Injection has thier own line of them, but that seems to be the only one I can find on the web. I also heard that alot of stage one cummins CP3 at most places is nothing more than a Stock Duramax CP3. If so, will a stock Duramax CP3 directly swap out on a cummins, or is there other modifications to do first. I am not looking to run Dual CP3's because the rules we have in our local 2.5 class states only one Injection pump. Any help would be apreciated.

the Dmax pump is a Bosch pump just like the Cummins pump and is a direct replacement. It's been a little redesigned to where the FCA is in a different location as far a few connections but, is basically the same pump.

Where this difference comes in I don't know but, Dmax pumps don't need lift pumps as they work on suction. Because of that.... on my dual set up anyway, I need no more than 12psi for them to perform correctly without loosing rail psi.

II is one place that does the modded CP3. Floor It is another good one. T&C Diesel does them, Darkside Diesel Worx also does them.

kino_fab said:
Just wondering what all is on the market as far as Modified CP3's. I know Industrial Injection has thier own line of them, but that seems to be the only one I can find on the web. I also heard that alot of stage one cummins CP3 at most places is nothing more than a Stock Duramax CP3. If so, will a stock Duramax CP3 directly swap out on a cummins, or is there other modifications to do first. I am not looking to run Dual CP3's because the rules we have in our local 2.5 class states only one Injection pump. Any help would be apreciated.

Some ports are different, the FCA is different. Swap in a modded Dodge FCA. You will have to get a new high PSI feed line to the rail made or get one from II to Run the Dmax pump. The factory one will not work.

GUNNAR said:
Some ports are different, the FCA is different. Swap in a modded Dodge FCA. You will have to get a new high PSI feed line to the rail made or get one from II to Run the Dmax pump. The factory one will not work.

the FCA used to be different as were the pumps but, they're the same now. I can swap FCA's between my two pumps if necessary. You're correct about the feed line. It's just not shaped correctly to fit to the rail.

I would try Floor It Diesel's modded CP3. Always heard nothing but good things and I know the owner (John Isaacs) pretty well. He takes alot of time makeing sure these pumps work properly and he stands behind them 110%. If there is ever a problem he will make it right.

^^^^^ I agree. John is a good dude. He builds a kick ass transmission as well.

triton said:
the Dmax pump is a Bosch pump just like the Cummins pump and is a direct replacement. It's been a little redesigned to where the FCA is in a different location as far a few connections but, is basically the same pump.

Where this difference comes in I don't know but, Dmax pumps don't need lift pumps as they work on suction. Because of that.... on my dual set up anyway, I need no more than 12psi for them to perform correctly without loosing rail psi.

II is one place that does the modded CP3. Floor It is another good one. T&C Diesel does them, Darkside Diesel Worx also does them.
Dodge cp3 also uses suction. I ran my truck for 3 days with my fass down for the count due to a harness issue*bdh* Still had enough fuel to blow smoke and keep 4psi fuel pressure

I had a Darkside Stage 3 pump on my 03 which was just totaled after an accident this past saturday night. I had it on for maybe 2-3 weeks. I didn't get the best opportunity to really open it up and see what it would do, but the half a dozen times I did play around with it I got no cutout and I could tell a huge difference. RP steadily went up to 26k and hung there. Good pump IMO, and at a good price. Damn it I miss my truck......

BTW yes I took it off, and no it is NOT for sale. Going on my buddy's 03.

The Duramax pump flows quite a bit more than a stock Cummins pump. It is actually considered a stage 3 upgrade when installed into a Cummins.

I have a Wicked Diesels modified pump. I installed it last month and did a few other mods to get more fuel to the rail and there is a huge difference in the amount of power available.

Justice4all said:
The Duramax pump flows quite a bit more than a stock Cummins pump. It is actually considered a stage 3 upgrade when installed into a Cummins.
Anything to back that up that it's as good as a stage 3? I have heard that it is better, but not enough to say it's like having a stage 3....

a STOCK D-MAX CP3 WOULD NOT KEEP UP WITH 180HP INJECTORS AND ELECTRONICS. i WOULD LIKE TO SEE PROOF. A stage 2and 3 pump have made over 800hp. I would like to see that on a stock d-max pump

Thanks for the input guys. THis is a big help. which would you guys prefer as far as the Darkside Diesel worx stage 3 or stage 4 for a truck with a modied rail, and will probably go no bigger than a set of 150hp sticks, maybe even just 120hp. I probably will not run any that big since I plan on going with a II Silver 62 turbo, jus tto start out with, but if I even plan on going bigger I don't want to get in a bind to where I will have to just turn around and buy all new stuff again to support bigger injectors in the future. Any one know the flow #'s on the DDW 3 and 4? Thanks agian.

HIGH TECH RAM said:
a STOCK D-MAX CP3 WOULD NOT KEEP UP WITH 180HP INJECTORS AND ELECTRONICS. i WOULD LIKE TO SEE PROOF. A stage 2and 3 pump have made over 800hp. I would like to see that on a stock d-max pump

There are actually a whole slough of guys running the II stage 3 pump and making big power and it is a Duramax pump with a different rail feed tube.

Give II a call, they will verify it themselves. The rail feed is just a miniature Dual Feed Line that is flexible because the stock feed line doesn't work with that pump.

Last edited:
Oh Well I Understand That, I Thought You Were Talking About A Stock D-max Cp3. I Would Consider Industrials Modified.

kino_fab said:
Thanks for the input guys. THis is a big help. which would you guys prefer as far as the Darkside Diesel worx stage 3 or stage 4 for a truck with a modied rail, and will probably go no bigger than a set of 150hp sticks, maybe even just 120hp. I probably will not run any that big since I plan on going with a II Silver 62 turbo, jus tto start out with, but if I even plan on going bigger I don't want to get in a bind to where I will have to just turn around and buy all new stuff again to support bigger injectors in the future. Any one know the flow #'s on the DDW 3 and 4? Thanks agian.

Stage 3 can support 700rwhp with rail pressure at 25,000psi with just a programmer on the truck for electronics. I had a stage 3 from DDW on my cummins....never any problems and made big power. The stage 4 is plain stupid amount of fuel. They are still tinkering with it but great numbers have been achieved so far. :rockwoot:

So what can I sell my stock 95,000 mile old OEM pump for? cheap trade for a slightly modded duramax pump? I wouldn't mind a total investment of like $500 after sell/trade + whatever a stage 3 would be.

Anything more then $1000, might as well keep the stock one and just drop in duals. Cost per % of fuel increase is very good with duals vs, stage(1,2,3)/cp3.4 last time I checked prices.

That Guy said:
What? Maybe you should reread the following........

I thought I was the only one who caught that..... I think II was calling the DMAX pump a stage 3 before pump mods got so advanced. I wouldn't call it more than a stage 2, if that, now. Those flexible lines are an accident waiting to happen.$.02

Can a Stage3 pump support 180hp Injectors instead of going to Dual's?