modifying the ccv mod??

txastuff79

we all know about the ccv mod... remove the restriction and vent it elsewhere. i know some people have chosen to dump the vapor in the exhaust and others have tried to do a venturi affect thru the exhaust. most people i saw were choosing to do this behind the muffler or at the end of the tail pipe.

my question is... if trying to do a venturi affect, wouldnt it be benefical to do it up by the down pipe? i dont have any pressure guages to do any tests of my own. also, the ones that have done it seem to only insert it only 3/4 inch in. would it benefit to go further in such as maybe half way into the stream of the exhuast? im just thinking and guessing. maybe someone has tested this... if so, fill me in. im curious to know the results. thanks to anyone who chimes in.

I have had this mod for a few years and 150K and has worked great. I have the CC vented to the exhaust pipe just behind the trans crossmember. I have a 1/2" pipe nipple cut at a 45 degree angle and welded 1/2" into the exhaust pipe and the put a air injection checkvalve screwed on that and then attached the vent hose to that. This works good for the 7.3 but some people have had a problem with it sucking oil on a 6.0 $.02

I was thinking about putting it right after the bend of the down pipe where it converts from 3.5" to 4". There's no muff or cat on mine so it should work.

see, to me it makes more sense putting it up closer to the engine. all the reviews suggested behind the muffler. if a venturi affect is what your attempting to create, then i would think closer to the engine where pressure is greater. the muffler would slow the exdhaust down in my mind. dunno. i have a moroso kit from my old race truck i can use. it has a check valve in the piece welded in. couldnt afford a vacuum pump so i ran it 15 inches after the collector. as soon as i get my truck back, i plan to do it. right now its just venting and im tired of hearing my wife complain.

If you've got the stock muffler, or the cat, then they would create a small amount of back pressure between itself and the turbo causing it not to work as well. But if you've got an after market open muffler and no cat, it shouldn't make much of a difference.

hmm. good point. i am striaght piped, but about to install the ansa "silverline" dual exhaust.

I have mine to atmosphere right next to the trans linkage, sure it smells like oil when the truck is just idling or when i go out and romp on it... but nothing beat the smell of clean oil....haha..

Carl

you don't want to dump it in front of the muffler. It will fill the muffler with oil much quicker than you would believe.