more FASS questions

99Binder

Well I got my 150/180 that i got from BWD, I installed it tuesday night. we wired it up into the fuse panal temporarly and tonight were goign to finish it off. I was wondering what is the best way to power it? thanks -wyatt

I tapped mine straight into the wires for the stock pump...that way the emergency shut off stays operative.

I was told when i had my Aero pump that it would draw to much power that i would need a relay to run off the factory pump. I'll admit im terrible with electronics, so bare with me.

I did mine the same way as rich..it runs just like the factory pump..and it shuts off after 10 seconds I think

I ran my fass power wires all the way up to the drivers side battery. I then ran a wire from the factory fuel pump, the hot one, up to the battery. these all go to a relay. There ends up being 4 wires to the relay. 1 from the battery, put a fuse in this one. 1 is a ground wire. 1 is power from the factory fuel pump. Last one is power to the fass. You will need to buy the relay. Go to any parts store and get one, the easiest is to find one designed for fog lights. I got mine at FARM & FLEET, like a Tractor Supply.

This is the best way because you use keep the factory fuel saftey, but you don't put to much load on the factory wiring.

My buddy scott thought of something very close to that line of thinking but it was late and nothing was open so we called it a night

If you want to trigger the FASS of the stock wires you will need to use a relay. If one wanted to get our Dodge Harness, we have a relay built into it already and could be modified to work rather easily. Just need to cut on end off the harness and attach to the stock switched 12+.

99Binder said:
My buddy scott thought of something very close to that line of thinking but it was late and nothing was open so we called it a night

For me it was sunday afternoon. So I just used a vise grip to attach the wire to the battery post. That did suck for one day. Open hood vise grip wire to terminal. Jump in truck, start it up and leave. Get to destination, pop hood shut truck off get out unhook wire. You get the picture. The next day the relay was on.

Next question where is this spring located that determines what kind of fuel pressure i have? because i got the pump and it had fitting and a spring in the package (i figured this was the 55psi spring, and the 65 psi spring was installed). and the rest of the fittings were in a seperate package. I have an areomotive regulator on the return and all i could get out of it was about 62 psi.

AHHHH ok....naw...the 50 PSI spring was installed. I had them pack up the 60+ PSI springs and machined fitting in the bag. It should be a thick spring and the fitting that needs to be used with it has a deeper grove. Just dont swap the fittings around. You need return flow back to the tank.

Just unscrew the return fitting out of the pump above the fuel filter and remove the spring. THEN install the spring in the bag allong with the fitting that came with it.

Just note that one return fitting has a deeper grove than the other. The deeper grove needs to be used with the longer spring. The shorter spring needs the shallow grove.....

The longer spring is the higher pressure, shorter is closer to stock.

Attachments

• Spring install.JPG
    Spring install.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 24
  • Return fitting Sized.jpg
    Return fitting Sized.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 16
  • Return fitting install.JPG
    Return fitting install.JPG
    82.7 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
awe **** thats all i can say, i will need to drain the tank and pump to do this i suppose? Yes I already had a regulated return setup installed in my truck so i have a return line back to the tank. Is there any special relays i need to use for this wiring.

I added the larger pickup tube. This made for three coming out. I use the new one for the fass feed. I then used the factory return for the return from the motor and the factory pick up as the return for the fass.

Diesel Dan..is it normal to hear the pump kinda popping..its hard to describe..it doesnt do it all the time but its annoying..

99Binder said:
awe **** thats all i can say, i will need to drain the tank and pump to do this i suppose? Yes I already had a regulated return setup installed in my truck so i have a return line back to the tank. Is there any special relays i need to use for this wiring.

NO, NO, NO! :hehe: This can be done in under 5 mins with a 7/8" Wrench. You will loose some diesel...but not very much at all. Look at the pic...i showed you exactly where the spring and fitting goes....

If you want to add a realy, wont hurt one bit. Just make sure its a 30A unit and your fine.

Abrannan19 said:
Diesel Dan..is it normal to hear the pump kinda popping..its hard to describe..it doesnt do it all the time but its annoying..

This is the air being sucked through the pump. It is normal.....