More fun electrical issues

Mountainman234

HillBilly
So a couple of days ago I went to get out of my 2005 3500 with 250000 and the dinger wouldn't quit, lights off key out, all parameters met. After numerous light switch and key cycles, I get it to extinguish.

Fast forward to today, I leave it in a dark parking garage to do some shopping all is good, I come back to it 5 hours later and all the lights are on. I know I had turned them off and I know they should turn off if left on after several minutes. As I get close they just turn off, I'm puzzled.

I get in it fires up and the switch is off. I run to another town to meet some friends, I wait in a parking lot for them. Key off, switch off and all the lights flash on then off then repeat, sometimes as fast as could b imagined.

If I turn the key to run or accessory it stops. If the truck is running it won't happen. When the engine is running the volt meter shows 15.1 which is higher than normal for it.

Currently I've pulled 3 relays out of the panel to make it through the night without a dead battery as its -3 outside.

I had washed the under hood yesterday when the temps were up as I often do, so moisture in the PDC is possible, but I'm really at a loss.

Searching hasn't turned up much, I'll get it inside and try drying out the PDC in the mourning.

Any thoughts would b great, thanks Ben

05.... does that have the TIPM or a BCM? i think it changed in 05 or 06 i forget. i think BCM

Ended up being moisture between the plates in the integrated power module i.e. fuse box, causing intermittent shorts on certain circuits. There are some decent vids on YouTube of the disassembly.

you mean the TIPM? please share. i have a problem of my own i cant hunt down

In different years its called different things but its always disguised as the under hood fuse box. If your fuse box has a removable FCM (front control module) then its called an IPM (integrated power module), if you don't have a removable FCM then its a TIPM (totally integrated power module). The difference begin that the computer is either replaceable or not.

Now I stated problems before and after several days of diagnostics and some unnecessary parts I had it nailed down to a problem with my IPM. I was reluctant to spend upwards of 500 with no assurances it was the fix so I decided it should b disassembled for verification. Upon disassembly an adequate amount of moisture was discovered trapped between the many layers of circuit boards that make up the IPM. I dried it out and reassembly was successful.

There are some good videos on YouTube that take the mystery out of disassembly so u don't destroy it in the process.