More transfer case issues..

Ridemywideglide

Diesel NON-Pro
So I get my used transfer, swap the shaft, get it in the truck and have now driven to work 3 days, today being the 3rd, 150 miles round trip.

On the way down the hill today I noticed a slight clunking every once in a while. After about 5 minutes of this, it jumped out of gear when I let off the throttle and would not go back in until I pulled over. I stopped, moved it from 2 to 4hi, a little grind but went in and moved. Then back to 2, same thing, a little grind, but went in. Took off down the road and the clunking became worse and I could feel it physically jerking the truck. When I let off to pull over, it jumped out of gear again. Trying to change to 4hi just resulted in some pretty spectacular grinding, same with trying to push it further forward toward 2hi. Mind you, the shifter never moved when it found this new neutral.
So after 8 miles of this I stopped, tried to adjust the shifter to see if it was just off, didn't help. I have all the detents, 2-4hi-n-4lo, where they look like they are supposed to be, but still the same..
another 4 miles down the road, it just jumps out with a lot of grinding, when I stop, I have nothing but 4lo. 2 and 4hi are just like neutral. Tried adjusting the shifter again, same result. So for 40 miles I drove home in 4lo at about 30mph. Now home, I cannot get it out of 4lo.. I even used my foot and all I did was I think I bent the shaft or linkage, something moved, but didn't shift. I'm so discusted with it I didn't even look under it when I got home. I'm ready to put a rag in the fuel tank and send it off a cliff. :bang

Any ideas what this could be? Obviously the transfer is coming back off. At least I still have the internals from my old case incase something broke.

Also, I haven't had a front driveline since replacing the transfer. It was tossed at 70, causing the original one to break.

Sounds to me like maybe the range gear, or range fork or both are jacked up. Have you put the upgraded rear clip in??

The clip that holds the shaft at the rear of the housing. On high mileage cases this clip riding on the bearing wears thin and allowes the shaft to lean witch puts a lot of stress on the range fork and range slider. Most of the time the range slider wears the input gear teeth at an angle then it starts spitting the slider out into nutral or evern 4 low.

Thank you gentlemen. I'm tearing the back off of it this weekend and I'll see what I can find.

Well it would seem to be some assembly problem on my part.
Pulled the back off to find all of my plastic fork pads from the range fork melted in strewn threwout the case. The fork itself is ground to sh!t. Got into the large ring gear that it operates in front of. Luckily I have another fork in the garage, just have to wait for all new pads to arrive.

Is there a preferred gear to install the guts in? 2hi vs 4lo, ????
Only think I can think of is that the range fork got cocked somehow after getting it all back together. It did work normally after I got it back in the truck. I guess as normally as I could tell without having a front driveline. Obviously something wasn't right.

Well, after hours of looking up diagrams and pictures to verify what was wrong... I pull out my old shaft and start looking it over. (The one on the left is the old one, assy on the right came out of my replacement just as you see it.)
The mode slider had been off when i pulled the broken parts out of my truck so I had no reference other than the used unit I purchased.
After looking it all over, I find that whoever was in my replacement unit last put the mode slider on backwards. This I think has led to my issues, and has also caused the 60t brass synchro to break.
So I pulled the somewhat chewed up synchro off my old shaft and will be using it on the other assy.

You just can't trust anybody anymore. $350 for a unit, now $150 more worth of broken sh!t because of someone else's screwup, and the joy of doing everything 3 times. Education sure is expensive.

DSCF2282.jpg

Back